cajie

Alternative to Amazon.Com in Hong Kong (DigitalRev.Com)

74 posts in this topic

This seems to be a great site to purchase all things photography. Compared to Amazon, they offer the following advantages:

http://www.digitalrev.com/

1. Most of the prices are cheaper than Amazon.

2. Free shipping directly to Kuwait - based on value of the items purchase. Higher value items are shipped using Fedex with 3-4 day ETA. Lower value items are sent via air-mail, but you can opt for Fedex by paying the difference. This is a huge improvement compared to Amazon where you send your items to a mailbox and then re-route them to Kuwait and pay additional shipping.

3. The main kicker for me is their support for local warranty. What this essentially means is that if the item is defective, you take it to the local dealer who will give you the estimate for repair. You then send the estimate to DigitalRev - who will approve it (based on warranty conditions). This is a big relief if an item reaches you defective or has some warranty related issues.

I have placed my first order for the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 lens, and they shipped it immediately via Fedex. I expect to receive it in the next 3-4 days. Price was nearly $200 less than Amazon with free shipping. If everything goes according to plan, this is my favorite online shop.

Good luck with fedex. Sorry to say that but I had a bad experience with them before. When they recieve your item you will pay some stuff.

Good luck with fedex. Sorry to say that but I had a bad experience with them before. When they recieve your item you will pay some stuff.

Well, I am expecting to pay something because there is customs duty involved. This means I have to pay 5% of the invoice value plus 5-10 kd for clearance. If it is within that band, I should not complain.

Let us know how it works out, but it really sounds promising!

I will. Package has already reached Dubai (just 2 days after placing the order!!).

Barring any problems at Customs - I don't expect anything major to happen here. This is a really really viable option for online purchases.

The moment I receive the package and confirm everything, my next order for SB-910 is a click away.

free fedex shipping? that's pretty cool. Fedex will charge around kd18 for clearance but even so you'd still be way ahead.

not really...

fedex will charge you just 2kd.... amazing isnt it?

my last 2 shipments from t-dimension.com landed safely to my office... with 2 kd charge only...

not really...

fedex will charge you just 2kd.... amazing isnt it?

my last 2 shipments from t-dimension.com landed safely to my office... with 2 kd charge only...

Let's hope you are right.

I did check out t-dimension, but went with DigitalRev because:

a. t-dimension seems to be more geared towards Australian market.

b. I did not see the "Local warranty" concept at t-dimension, which would be applicable for Kuwait.

c. DigitalRev prices are a tad bit cheaper (few dollars only) compared to t-dimension.

d. Free Shipping!!!

Is there an option to get the items autographed by Kai? :mrgreen:

Interestingly enough, Kai never mentions anything about the store. He never promotes it in any of his videos. After watching many videos, I only happened to notice by chance that there is actually a supporting website with an online store.

Also, his reviews have nothing to do with selling the product. If the product is bad, he will say it. And then DigitalRev actually posts that review right next to the product!!

Honest marketing at its best.

Package reached Kuwait (4 days total since placing the order). Called Fedex to check the amount to be paid.

KD 12/- total for customs and clearance. Way below my expectations.

This is looking better by the minute.

12 KD? Considering the price of the lens thats a damn steal!

Did they mark the price down on the shipping invoice to make it easier to clear customs?

12 KD? Considering the price of the lens thats a damn steal!

Did they mark the price down on the shipping invoice to make it easier to clear customs?

mine is only 2kd, coz they marked it as a gift, and declare 30% of the price in the invoice...

thanks t-dimension. but only international warranty not local... :(

Told you it was a deal... :) anyway... we're moving to dubai so retail price should be much cheaper than here...

So here's the final results of my first purchase.

1. The Fedex bill for customs and clearance was KD 11.050 only.

2. Unlike Amazon, the box was wrapped for rough transportation. Basically, the lens box was cocooned in so much bubble-wrap (see image below), you could basically play a full 90 minute soccer game with the box, and the lens would have been still 100% intact.

2. They include a commercial invoice!!!. Wow!. What this means is there is no problem clearing items from the customs, as all the details required in the commercial invoice are available (country of origin, weight etc.)

3. The commercial invoice states a lower value than what I paid - hence the lower customs bill. Note that I never mentioned anything about value declaration when purchasing.

In short, DigitalRev obviously knows a thing or 2 about shipping items to Kuwait. I would rate this transaction 6 out of 5.

6892430306_958fa95738_z.jpg

6892429938_a38e377ca0_z.jpg

Sounds really good. Thanks for the report, Cajie.

Let's keep in mind though, and as they say, two data points (or in this case, one data point) does not make a trend. Not doubting you Cajie at all, but as buyers we need to feel secure about the seller, especially with expensive items.

Another option that some people use (basically, Canon people, due to the silly Canon prices locally) is to fly to Dubai, buy the item, then come back in the afternoon/evening.

Thanks again for the report.

Let's keep in mind though, and as they say, two data points (or in this case, one data point) does not make a trend.

Since you seem to be statistically inclined, Please check the main blog page. All reported "data points", including one from Mark, have reported the exact same experience.

Anyway, I have ordered another package (The Panasonic GX1), which I should receive in 3-4 days time (as per their data point archive). Once I receive that package, I will update that additional data point in order to allow people to plot interesting pie charts or trend analysis graphs.

Dude, the GX1 kicks ass.

After my experience with your GF1, I expected nothing less.

I am actually buying it specifically for an upcoming trekking trip in the mountains of Himalayas. The trek will be around 8-10 days, during which time, we will be totally away from any form of civilization. Because of this, I am now looking for at least 3-4 additional batteries that will last me during this trip.

I did this last year with the D300 + 3 batteries, but I only managed to complete the trip without running out of juice because I completely disabled the LCD screen and the batteries were used only for activating the shutter, and writing the image on the card.

Have you purchased any extra batteries for your GX1? The original one are very expensive, so I am thinking of buying some after-market ones like these.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Pana ... 614&sr=8-5

No i didn't but you should if you won't have a charger near by. The GX1 uses more juice but I think that's mostly because of the X lens.