cajie

Alternative to Amazon.Com in Hong Kong (DigitalRev.Com)

74 posts in this topic

This battery pack is meant for mobile phones but it might also work for cameras. I saw this on Zdistrict so you might wanna ask Marzouq if he has tried charging his camera with the external battery pack.

IMO it might work if the GX1 can charge its battery via USB port.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZB ... B003ZBZ64Q

No. That won't work.

But I did find something interesting on blink.com

This solar panel can pretty much charge a lot of things - including camera batteries.

http://www.blink.com.kw/product-detail/ ... y-sil.html

Only problem is that you need a specific camera charger that takes DC input. I don't think blink has them in stock (will check them), but it can be ordered directly from the manufacturer.

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/solar-cam ... rger.shtml

This battery pack is meant for mobile phones but it might also work for cameras. I saw this on Zdistrict so you might wanna ask Marzouq if he has tried charging his camera with the external battery pack.

IMO it might work if the GX1 can charge its battery via USB port.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZB ... B003ZBZ64Q

No. That won't work.

But I did find something interesting on blink.com

This solar panel can pretty much charge a lot of things - including camera batteries.

http://www.blink.com.kw/product-detail/ ... y-sil.html

Only problem is that you need a specific camera charger that takes DC input. I don't think blink has them in stock (will check them), but it can be ordered directly from the manufacturer.

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/solar-cam ... rger.shtml

That's neat! I hope you find the Lumix cradle/adapter.

Dunno how much it will help conserve battery power - but I plonked down $199 for a LV2 viewfinder.

Besides battery considerations, I think it will be a big aid in composition in bright sunlight.

Data Point #2

Item Received: Panasonic GX1 with Power Zoom 14-42

Invoice Value $739.00/-

Value declared for Customs $499.00 (Thank you DigitalRev)

7158227314_4d0b2b78b0_z.jpg[/url]

Unfortunately, they shipped it via DHL (who are not so good as Aramex). I got charged Kd 17.50 with some silly charges (I will make sure I tell DigitalRev to not ship any of my future goods via DHL)

7158228618_b00cf758af_z.jpg[/url]

As usual, top notch packaging (It was opened by Customs btw) and fast 4-day delivery (It actually arrived in 3 days, but DHL took 2 days to clear it)

7158227730_8ded24074c_z.jpg[/url]

7158227954_3b5723b63c_z.jpg[/url]

And Voila!!

7158228186_b59101bd14_z.jpg[/url]

7158228412_5c0306698b_z.jpg[/url]

When it was stuck in customs for two days, what was the message being shown on the DHL tracking page? Was it "Clearance delay"? My D7000 is also in customs right now with the same status. On expanding the entry, it shows:

"A clearance other than standard Customs entry is required for this shipment. Next Step:

Further processing will occur as instructed by the regulatory authority. A DHL representative will attempt to contact the importer or shipper if further information is required."

Data Point #2

You're really going to town with this data point argument, aren't you? :P

Data Point#3 will be coming up in the next month or so coz I'll be buying one from digitalrev to take on an upcoming trip.

Unfortunately, they shipped it via DHL (who are not so good as Aramex). I got charged Kd 17.50 with some silly charges (I will make sure I tell DigitalRev to not ship any of my future goods via DHL)

I looked at the invoice, yes those are pretty lame excuses to squeeze money from the customer.

Whats the other option? UPS? I don't have any experience with UPS.

When it was stuck in customs for two days, what was the message being shown on the DHL tracking page? Was it "Clearance delay"? My D7000 is also in customs right now with the same status. On expanding the entry, it shows:

"A clearance other than standard Customs entry is required for this shipment. Next Step:

Further processing will occur as instructed by the regulatory authority. A DHL representative will attempt to contact the importer or shipper if further information is required."

Yup. Exactly that.

It just means that Customs will check the item - and you will most likely pay a similar amount to what I paid.

Data Point#3 will be coming up in the next month or so coz I'll be buying one from digitalrev to take on an upcoming trip.

So far, it looks great. The AF speed is just amazing. Even though it is contrast detection, Panny has added some magic sprinkles in it, because it easily rivals the phase detection AF on most mdi-range dSLRs. And that's saying something.

I looked at the invoice, yes those are pretty lame excuses to squeeze money from the customer.

Whats the other option? UPS? I don't have any experience with UPS.

Aramex seems better for this type of shipments - though I doubt we have a choice in this matter.

Aramex seems better for this type of shipments - though I doubt we have a choice in this matter.

Problem with Aramex is, they would have added a host of other charges. Shipping charge - KD1 / $100, Customs clearance charge - KD5, Customs stamp charge - KD??. Might be worth to wait an extra day or two if it is a high-value shipment...

Problem with Aramex is, they would have added a host of other charges. Shipping charge - KD1 / $100, Customs clearance charge - KD5, Customs stamp charge - KD??. Might be worth to wait an extra day or two if it is a high-value shipment...

My previous shipment was via Aramex, and they had charged me less than 12 KD.

Package was bigger than this package, plus it was a higher value item - though DigitalRev declared both at same price ($499).

My previous shipment was via Aramex, and they had charged me less than 12 KD.

Package was bigger than this package, plus it was a higher value item - though DigitalRev declared both at same price ($499).

I'm happy with my Aramex shipping experience so far. How did you opt for Aramex when ordering from Digitalrev? I have a Chinese post box via ShopandShip so do I send it there or ask Digitalrev to ship it directly from HongKong to Kuwait via Aramex?

I'm happy with my Aramex shipping experience so far. How did you opt for Aramex when ordering from Digitalrev? I have a Chinese post box via ShopandShip so do I send it there or ask Digitalrev to ship it directly from HongKong to Kuwait via Aramex?

DigitalRev sends it directly to Kuwait. There is no option for you to choose the carrier. They have some formula (perhaps random selection?) that picks up the courier they will use.

Ordered nikon SB-910 .. just got it :)

dhl charged me KD. 8.000 thats it :o

Ordered on 16 May received on 21 May .. Excellent service

Friend ordered D800E, was supposed to ship in 24 hours but didn't. Was supposed to be delivered by May 17th but package hadn't shipped yet. Turns out they ran out of stock even though they had it written shipping in 24 hours and his order said that as well.

They weren't very apologetic about it and he canceled the order.

Friend ordered D800E, was supposed to ship in 24 hours but didn't. Was supposed to be delivered by May 17th but package hadn't shipped yet. Turns out they ran out of stock even though they had it written shipping in 24 hours and his order said that as well.

They weren't very apologetic about it and he canceled the order.

You are talking about a D800.

I was promised my D800 nearly a month back by the official dealer in India - and I have already paid 50% of the amount.

He is not apologetic either, but I am not cancelling my order.

Just received my GX1 from Digital Rev.

Ordered on May 30th. Received on 5th June after a 2 day delay in Kuwait customs.

The box was wrapped in SO much bubble wrap that I thought they mixed up my order and sent me a bundle of clothes!

Best part of all, I just paid 2 KD as clearance charges.

Digital Rev +1

cfa1f700aee111e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg

Hi gang. What's up.

Been checking DigitalRev prices from time and they are always higher than Amazon/B&H. So what is the advantage/saving when buying from Rev.

I'm asking because DHL gave me a big on a recent lens purchase. Total shipping cost was $183 :x

Cheers, and looking foreword to adding more data points :)

Anyone.

I'm ready to buy Canon's 600EX-RT flash.

Sometimes DigitalRev is cheaper than Amazon, but most of the time they are more expensive. You need to compare and decide.

In the above case, I would say it would be cheaper to buy off DigitalRev. The difference is about 13 KD. You will pay maybe the same or a little more via DHL Shop & Ship.

DigitalRev packs the goods really well and you will receive it at your home. Plus, in the rare case that something is faulty, you can claim warranty from DigitalRev, which you can't do with Amazon.

My vote for this particular one is DigitalRev.

Excellent points, Cajie.

And from what you all mentioned, it seems shipping time is significantly shorter. Average of 5 days with Rev vs. ~10 days with DHL.

Excellent points, Cajie.

And from what you all mentioned, it seems shipping time is significantly shorter. Average of 5 days with Rev vs. ~10 days with DHL.

Yes. I have received about 5 shipments from DigitalRev. Shipping time is like 3-4 days (they usually ship DHL Express), and the 5th day, it is in your hands.

Way much less stress that way :)

If I may ask, what address do you guys use, home or office. Or do you have the option of picking the item yourself (believe it or not, I prefer the latter :)).

Way much less stress that way :)

If I may ask, what address do you guys use, home or office. Or do you have the option of picking the item yourself (believe it or not, I prefer the latter :)).

It's DHL Express, so they deliver it to the address specified in the Invoice (so you can specify your office address if you wish).