Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jt787

Toyota 86? What do you guys think?!?

58 posts in this topic

I've read the reviews and watched some video test-drives. I also went to Al-Sayer to check out the car and it looks absolutely gorgeous. The interior is quite cool, although it might feel a little cheapish, but it's fully loaded which is nice and the seating position + steering wheel feel great. I can't wait to test-drive it.

The price was ranging from KD 9.3K to KD 10.2K.

The only thing that was holding me back was the fact that it's only 200HP with a 2.0 litre. But while I was watching the video reviews on youtube, they all say that the handling is insane and that it feels like a dream to drive. Literally stayed up all night watching video reviews of it.

Worth the price? I'm not worried about toyota's after-sales and warranty services because I know they are a reputable company here in kuwait. I also haven't seen many of these cars on the road. Is it because people aren't aware?

Toyota? With 200hp? and a cheap body? for 10.2k?

Either you are nuts (no offense) or you're unaware of German cars. Put an extra 1 - 2k and get yourself a Mercedes C-class, BMW 300 series, or an audi for that price. At least you will be driving a luxury car and you will get more respect on the road if you drive a german car than a toyota car :lol: (I am laughing because that is the mentally of the people on the road, not mine :wink: )

You know? For 8.5k you can get a Nissan Maxima (I think full option) with approximatly 292hp (6 cylinders.) Of course, Nissan service and garage is top-notch through my personal experience.

Either you are nuts (no offense) or you're unaware of German cars. Put an extra 1 - 2k and get yourself a Mercedes C-class, BMW 300 series, or an audi for that price. At least you will be driving a luxury car and you will get more respect on the road if you drive a german car than a toyota car :lol: (I am laughing because that is the mentally of the people on the road, not mine :wink: )

You know? For 8.5k you can get a Nissan Maxima (I think full option) with approximatly 292hp (6 cylinders.) Of course, Nissan service and garage is top-notch through my personal experience.

Forgot to mention that maintanance costs (oil change, air filter changer, cleaning AC from bad smell, etc.) will be expensive. Also, German cars are sensitive (you should drive carefully or pay the price.) Just thought I would mention this.

Yeah Maxima is cool, if you're 45 years old, married and have two kids and no life. The guy is looking at a sports car and you're recommending him a boring sedan?

If you've driven the original AE86, or are a fan of initial D, you'll know what a light body and 200bhp RWD can do in corners.

It won't be super fast in straight, but if they've managed to make the handling anywhere near to Levin, it will be loads and loads of fun.

Two words.... Two words is all i can give you...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Nuff said!

Just bought the toyota 86 for 10k. If you're looking for speed, you're looking at the wrong car. The handling however is beautiful. And this car is really FUN to drive. Let me give you my pros and cons.

Pros:

-Sounds great

-Looks badass

-The handling is really really good.

-You can drift this even without experience, at slow speeds.

-Toyota support/service is great in Kuwait

-Handles speed bumps quite well for such a low car.

-Full tank of gas is 2.500 KD

-Seats are comfortable

-Good Driving position

Cons:

-No backseat, you can fit someone small in the back.

-Sound system is garbage in my opinion

-The display/gps is average, same as the one on the land cruiser.

-You're in a small car so you always have to worry about potholes and crappy roads.

-Seat/Wheel adjustment isn't automatic.

-Up to personal preference, but the red/black interior is meh.

If speed really matters to you can always wait for the turbo/supercharged variants of the 86 which I'm sure are coming soon. or you can do it yourself.

Moose... Any regrets so far?

I'd prefer the car without that gigantic spoiler and it costs around KD 9K in total.

I personally like the red/black interior. Sound system is a big thing for me, but maybe I can add my own customized one.

Do you drive yours in automatic or manual? I've never driven manual before, but I might be willing to learn haha.

Also what color did you choose? :)

I would definitely want a turbo-charged version. I don't know if I end up turbo-charging the car myself, firstly how much that will cost and whether or not that will void the warranty? I don't know much about cars tbh.

Yeah Maxima is cool, if you're 45 years old, married and have two kids and no life. The guy is looking at a sports car and you're recommending him a boring sedan?

True that, although i must say the new (2010- present) maxima got an impressive grunt underneath.

I dragged with one once, and i had an old beat up lexus, i actually lost (initially) , caught up later though.

Got 2 cylinders more :D .

boom.

I have a manual 86, long story short: Fun car, very slow. Turbo/super will void warranty, but this car is in desperate need of an additional 100hp - I plan on doing it fairly soon.

Sound system is a big thing for me, but maybe I can add my own customized one.

The stock sound system is absolute garbage, I replaced the head unit within the first few days. The speakers need to be replaced asap .. the issue is that the stock ones are quite tiny and will require significant customization to get it up to par.

I have a manual 86, long story short: Fun car, very slow. Turbo/super will void warranty, but this car is in desperate need of an additional 100hp - I plan on doing it fairly soon.

I've heard that many times... "Fun, yet very slow." I don't really know what to think of that. The thing is, they won't let me test drive the car either since there aren't many available. Do you find that it's a practical car for everyday usage? I don't plan on getting married anytime soon and even if I do I probably won't have kids for a while.

What soundsystem did you set up for your car? How much did it cost?

Sorry for all the questions man! I just don't know anyone else who has much info:

My other choices are:

Scirocco, GTI, Nissan Z, Infiniti G37, Subaru BRZ (same as toyota 86, but looks nicer in my opinion)

Forgot to mention that maintanance costs (oil change, air filter changer, cleaning AC from bad smell, etc.) will be expensive. Also, German cars are sensitive (you should drive carefully or pay the price.) Just thought I would mention this.

I'm not nuts haha. I've researched about german cars. They don't handle well in the heat from what I hear and they depreciate before you say KABOOM. I don't really care about "getting respect"... All I care about is driving a car that I could absolutely enjoy, love, and glad to ride in it everytime I'm behind that steering wheel. Brand name doesn't really matter. If a girl jugdes me on whether I drive a toyota or mercedes, well then I'm glad I haven't changed my ways for a stubborn bitch lol.

Moose... Any regrets so far?

I'd prefer the car without that gigantic spoiler and it costs around KD 9K in total.

I personally like the red/black interior. Sound system is a big thing for me, but maybe I can add my own customized one.

Do you drive yours in automatic or manual? I've never driven manual before, but I might be willing to learn haha.

Also what color did you choose? :)

Automatic, dark grey. And yeah, I didn't like the spoiler at first but it grew on me.

No regrets really, I enjoy driving it so much to the extent that I go on joyrides for the sole purpose of just driving around. Just wish I had a car I could off-road with, but it's not a huge deal for me since all my friends have big cars ^_^

Here it is btw:

2xImE

I would definitely want a turbo-charged version. I don't know if I end up turbo-charging the car myself, firstly how much that will cost and whether or not that will void the warranty? I don't know much about cars tbh.

@jt787 - May I suggest you to also take a look at the Mitsubishi EVO X (10) and the Subaru Impreza WRX STi before you decide on the FT86. These two very good cars are also in the 10,000 KD range.

No doubt, the FT86 is a good car, but at 10,000 KD you must get atleast a Turbo Engine.

At 9K & 10K, the FT86 is overpriced in Kuwait. When I drove the FT86, it just felt like an average car very cleverly packaged & marketed as a sports car. I personally don't think FT86 is a serious sports car.

The EVO X & Impreza WRX STi are very serious cars & already have Turbo Engines & 300 bhp under the hood in stock condition. I think if it was me, I would put my money on the EVO X.

20071001_Lancer_Evolution_X-front.jpg

image39635_b.jpg

It may be over priced, you will probably not get half its price back when you sell it in a year or two... but it appears to be like a fun car. If you're still young then go for it. get the car and enjoy it. you may not get the opertunity to spend that amount of money on such a silly car again.

@jt787 - May I suggest you to also take a look at the Mitsubishi EVO X (10) and the Subaru Impreza WRX STi before you decide on the FT86. These two very good cars are also in the 10,000 KD range.

No doubt, the FT86 is a good car, but at 10,000 KD you must get atleast a Turbo Engine.

At 9K & 10K, the FT86 is overpriced in Kuwait. When I drove the FT86, it just felt like an average car very cleverly packaged & marketed as a sports car. I personally don't think FT86 is a serious sports car.

The EVO X & Impreza WRX STi are very serious cars & already have Turbo Engines & 300 bhp under the hood in stock condition. I think if it was me, I would put my money on the EVO X.

20071001_Lancer_Evolution_X-front.jpg

image39635_b.jpg

The evo looks nice! But the thing is I don't drive stick shift. I want to learn though!!!!

The WRX... Not really a fan of the wagon look.

I've decided against the toyota 86. I just feel like although I would enjoy the steering, the HP would be an issue and the interior quality doesn't really justify the price-tag.

I'm going to look at the 370z & Z4

I've decided against the toyota 86. I just feel like although I would enjoy the steering, the HP would be an issue and the interior quality doesn't really justify the price-tag.

You're contradicting yourself.

First, the 370z is not different than the toyota 86.

Second, the 370z was being sold a couple of years back at the same price at the toyota 68. nothing in terms of spec or quality changed in recent years... only the price had doubled.

Third, the Z4 is a chick car, at least thats what it appears to me... and even if it has more HP than the toyota 86 you will not feel much difference in the Z4.

Finally, it may have less HP however considering its size and weight that HP is just perfect. You will get plenty of fun driving it around the streets. You will get a chance to enjoy it on the streets in a way you will never be able to enjoy other with bigger engines.

You're contradicting yourself.

First, the 370z is not different than the toyota 86.

Second, the 370z was being sold a couple of years back at the same price at the toyota 68. nothing in terms of spec or quality changed in recent years... only the price had doubled.

Third, the Z4 is a chick car, at least thats what it appears to me... and even if it has more HP than the toyota 86 you will not feel much difference in the Z4.

Finally, it may have less HP however considering its size and weight that HP is just perfect. You will get plenty of fun driving it around the streets. You will get a chance to enjoy it on the streets in a way you will never be able to enjoy other with bigger engines.

I'm ALWAYS contradicting myself. One day I decide I want something, the next day i'll turn against it!!! Lol. You're always right surrey. I did lots of research on the 370z and most people say that it offers nothing new.

The Z4 I tried it out today. It's definitely not a chick car! It looks good with a guy wearing a suit and tie to work *ahem*... Drives very smoothly. But I'm not sure how often I'd use that retractable top feature in kuwait? Dust and all that shit. It's priced at a whooping 15K too... But in my opinion it's the best looking car I've seen so far for the price.

The Scion FRS makes the most practical sense. It's priced at 9K and they offered to trade in my chevy cruise for 3K... Where-as BMW offered a minimal 1.5K without even seeing the car properly.

All the economical signs are leading to the Toyota 86/FRS.

The z4 is a lot of fun, but the 3+ liter variant. The retractable top pays its price whenever there's good weather. And its a headturner. Also its a roadster, so there's an awesomely different feel to making uTurns.

You should consider however that it may not be an everyday car. The ride is really stiff, in test drives you don't feel it much but having it day in day out, you start to realize how bad shape the Gulf Road is in. And then there are the interior squeaks - also related to those stiff suspensions which will make everything rattle after a couple of months.

If you are considering germans afterall, why don't you consider an M3 e92? or even a 335i E92? Its fun, in a funky color its v sporty, and its FAST both in straight and in the corners! Plus nothing drives better than a BMW.

I've heard that many times... "Fun, yet very slow." I don't really know what to think of that. The thing is, they won't let me test drive the car either since there aren't many available. Do you find that it's a practical car for everyday usage? I don't plan on getting married anytime soon and even if I do I probably won't have kids for a while.

What soundsystem did you set up for your car? How much did it cost?

Sorry for all the questions man! I just don't know anyone else who has much info:

My other choices are:

Scirocco, GTI, Nissan Z, Infiniti G37, Subaru BRZ (same as toyota 86, but looks nicer in my opinion)

I swapped the head unit for a kenwood (toyota fitment) - plan on changing the speakers and adding a subwoofer; the total should be around 400-500kd for everything.

I drive the car pretty much everyday, the manual aspect can get annoying .. especially in traffic. Its quite fun to drive and handles like a dream. This is the perfect car for someone who likes to modify cars, as there are tons of parts available at reasonable prices.

My other car is a Scirocco; that is a perfect daily driver, but I wanted something a bit more engaging (and modifying a FWD car is useless). I plan on selling the Scirocco since I don't drive it as much anymore.

Thanks alot k.kuwaiti. Im very closely leaning towards the 86.

Automatic... No spoiler... Blue or white (most likely blue

:)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0