Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SharekhQ8

Fiber Optics

19 posts in this topic

I read that they will start putting them up starting from July 2013, and goes on for 2 straight years..

Can anyone tell me if that's accurate? if so, Where can I get the list of areas they will be putting up the Fiber Optics in order?

I wanna know if it's worth it to buy a new internet connection for Gaming or not..

Call your ISP and ask. Fiber optics have been installed for two years now and they did test runs in Salwa and South Surra, both of which now have full fiber optic connections. They're only now starting to active fiber optic but as you said they are doing to on a roll out basis.

Anyways, copper wires not being able to handle higher speeds than 2mbps is the lie of the century from our local ISPs. In the US I have a 25mbps connection on copper wires (for 8kd a month), and in most of the United States it's still running on copper wires.

Call your ISP and ask. Fiber optics have been installed for two years now and they did test runs in Salwa and South Surra, both of which now have full fiber optic connections. They're only now starting to active fiber optic but as you said they are doing to on a roll out basis.

Anyways, copper wires not being able to handle higher speeds than 2mbps is the lie of the century from our local ISPs. In the US I have a 25mbps connection on copper wires (for 8kd a month), and in most of the United States it's still running on copper wires.

I'm still using copper line and it is true that my line can't handle over 2MB (I called FT and asked them if I can upgrade to 3MB and they said that I can but to stay in the safe margin and avoid disconnects I should stick to 2MB, and since WiMD insisted that I got 10MB where in NY server I got 3 - 4 MB I'm not really sure whether to re-subsricbe to WiMD, upgrade to 3MB DSL, or stick with my pathetic 2MB DSL for browsing and youtube....

4G service in my area is weak to non-existant.....

Well, thank you everybody for your replies, however.. my current line handles max 8Mbps.. which is nice, but still sucks! I can't do anything with it.. no online gaming, barely any YouTube at all.. if only it was stable enough to remain 6Mbps+, but it's usually at 2Mbps and below..

Im currently using an airlive to connect to the router, because the router is too far. So, I wanna buy a new internet connection and put it right next to me for best use.. BUT, If they give us those Fiber Optics for Sabah Al Salem soon enough, I'd wait rather than buy one for the copper wires now..

I could use the increase upload speed as well, It takes hours to upload a video to my YouTube channel.. and during those hours the internet is really slow! too slow for anything!

my current line handles max 8Mbps.. which is nice, but still sucks! I can't do anything with it.. no online gaming, barely any YouTube at all.. if only it was stable enough to remain 6Mbps+, but it's usually at 2Mbps and below..

Don't you think you're exagerating a little? We have a 1mbps line at my Dad's house and everything is running smooth.

Also your speed doesn't determine your gaming capabilities. Latency matters much more than your down speed. If everyone in your neighborhood even had 128kbps speed you'd get 0 lag because you're playing against people in your neighborhood. Theres little to no latency.

I could use the increase upload speed as well, It takes hours to upload a video to my YouTube channel.. and during those hours the internet is really slow! too slow for anything!

I completely relate man. No matter what down speed you get you are locked at 1mbps upload and all ISPs have this issue. With the 4G routers, upload sucks just as bad, plus using your upload adds to your cap so you'll hit the limit faster.

I just upload on a desktop and leave it for like the hours it takes. I try to encode the video a lot to help reduce the size.

I don't know why It's not running smoothly, but it just isn't.. im not exaggerating or anything.. the internet is really really slow.. it should handle my basic use so far, but idk why it isn't..

i know it doesn't determine my gaming capabilities.. but the connection i have my eye on from QualityNet also comes with a Gaming service.. which reduces lag significantly..

When i upload a video, I leave it uploading, keep my computer close to the router, go to the gym, come back, it's usually close to an end by then, lol..

Bad infrastructure.

I got 2MB to my house from non-Quality, you get those periods where it just "hangs" for a few secs, lose service for a few minutes, slows down over weekends and holidays.

I can't say its the ISP's fault when the lines are just bad :| Speaking of where we could be, we are atleast 20 years behind paying todays prices. Dialup when the copper lines were new was awesome. We're not dialup anymore.

Hopefully these Fiber Optics are worth the crap we go through..

Think of it this way: the internet is basically a connection to a server, that the entire world shares. If our connection is weak, then we're not well-connected to the world. PLUS, everything comes from the internet, our connection to it allows us to improve ourselves in many ways. What's more important for a government than to provide the people with the best possible internet connection as long as they are safe and sound with all the necessities?

What's more important for a government than to provide the people with the best possible internet connection as long as they are safe and sound with all the necessities?

it's there for those who can afford it. wimd, mada, 4G LTE.

Those suck, so unstable, you pay for 42Mbps, you get 2Mbps.. it's completely dependent on traffic, the only case where you get the full speed you paid for is when no one is using the internet from their service other than you..

Bad infrastructure.

I got 2MB to my house from non-Quality, you get those periods where it just "hangs" for a few secs, lose service for a few minutes, slows down over weekends and holidays.

I can't say its the ISP's fault when the lines are just bad :| Speaking of where we could be, we are atleast 20 years behind paying todays prices. Dialup when the copper lines were new was awesome. We're not dialup anymore.

I"ve got a 3MB line from Qnet and in terms of direct downloads and torrents its as fast as advertised but when it comes to Youtube and streaming video it sucks big time! You can see the difference before and after I upgraded from 2 to 3.

Qnet-download.jpg

Qualitynet-DSL-Speed-test.png

I'm happy with Qnet but in Youtube is horrible! I can't watch videos in 720p without buffering and next option for smooth video is 480. Its no use calling them as they always reply with their standard "switch router off and on again" routine.

Its no use calling them as they always reply with their standard "switch router off and on again" routine.

There are thins in life you have to accept.

Saying "Yes dear" to anything and everything your wife asks.

Saying "Switch router off and of again" to qualify as tech support.

Its no use calling them as they always reply with their standard "switch router off and on again" routine.

Hmm, you are wise in the ways of the world, aren't you? :D

Those suck, so unstable, you pay for 42Mbps, you get 2Mbps.. it's completely dependent on traffic, the only case where you get the full speed you paid for is when no one is using the internet from their service other than you..

i believe that it's very hard to satisfy you as a customer as even the best available options still "suck" as per your standard.

move to South Korea and have all the bandwidth you can wish for.

and yeah.... suck all the kimchi too :-P

i believe that it's very hard to satisfy you as a customer as even the best available options still "suck" as per your standard.

move to South Korea and have all the bandwidth you can wish for.

and yeah.... suck all the kimchi too :-P

lol, I don't mean to be that guy that always always wants more than what he has.. but If my uses are still too difficult and too slow to do, then obviously I want more. I mean, I really don't know if it's just me, but YouTube videos take way too long to buffer.. I usually open up like 5-6 videos in different tabs so they buffer. I end up watching a couple episodes from The Simpsons while they buffer, that doesn't sound right.

I really hope they "turn on" the Fiber optics very soon. With the amazing upload speed I can start streaming easily with no problems at all..

I really hope they "turn on" the Fiber optics very soon. With the amazing upload speed I can start streaming easily with no problems at all..

No problem...continue dreaming! LOL

Hmm, you are wise in the ways of the world, aren't you? :D

I've never been hit by a skillet.

No problem...continue dreaming! LOL

Sounds like a plan :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0