larogue

The Official InfoConnect 2014 Thread (Internet/Mobile Deals here)

59 posts in this topic

qualitynet offers are on their site now, tho just phoned them and they told me to go to mishref to renew.

1mb 25

2mb 30

3 or 4 mb 32

5 or 6 mb 49

rest are here http://www.qualitynet.net/?page_id=269

The Offers from QualityNet looks really really good.

Wondering if there's any catch ? Download Cap, Lower speeds during Peak Hours , etc. 

Edited by James76

Wondering if there's any catch ? Download Cap, Lower speeds during Peak Hours , etc. 

I had renewed my subscription with qnet yesterday. 4mbps for 32 KD.  as per the sales guy there is no cap and we can download as much as we want.  I got gift as 5mbps for next 3 months but till now they didnt activate that and still my speedtesh is showing that my download is 3804kpbs and upload is 1611.  i called the supporteam and as per his instruction i reset my router but still the same speed which is less than 4mbps. :(  

I had renewed my subscription with qnet yesterday. 4mbps for 32 KD.  as per the sales guy there is no cap and we can download as much as we want.  I got gift as 5mbps for next 3 months but till now they didnt activate that and still my speedtesh is showing that my download is 3804kpbs and upload is 1611.  i called the supporteam and as per his instruction i reset my router but still the same speed which is less than 4mbps. :(

i've had qualitynet for a few years and never had a problem with 4mb and i do get 4mb when downloading if the other side has a decent upload speed, but http://speedtest.qualitynet.net/ shows the download speed as less (3.9), tho i am happy with the speed i get as it allows me to download what i want quickly and then leaves the line open for my wife's endless whatsapp videos she wants to watch. 

Plus when i renewed today for 32KD i got 6 months next speed upgrade and got nitro free which means that from midnight to 6am i should get 6mb (which i think is the max my line can take tho they say it can take 8mb), so i can schedule most of my downloads for overnight.

The speeds don't fluctuate either, and the ministry made the isps remove the caps they tried to introduce a couple of years back.

if you log into qualitynet.net using your user id it should tell you what speed your line should be able to get. 

Edited by abukhadeejah

Crappy customer service. I've had Quality Net for less than a month and looking to switch to a different ISP. They're unhelpful, they seem pretty lazy and they either don't listen properly or they just don't care. 

Crappy customer service. I've had Quality Net for less than a month and looking to switch to a different ISP. They're unhelpful, they seem pretty lazy and they either don't listen properly or they just don't care. 

True +1 !

if you don't like qualitynet then don't move to gulfnet, as qualitynet will appear to be world beaters in comparison.

Before you move try to use the machines in their offices or at info whilst it's on,to see what sites other companies block as they all seem to block different things, and whilst qualitynet do block a couple of sites that i have to work around to get to, most of the sites i want are there.

This is the thing that always puts me off moving i may end up not being able to access what i currently can.

2 people like this

Compared to the other ISP's,  KEMS offer prices are a bit on the higher side. While Qualitynet is offering upto 6 Mb at KD 49/- Kems offer price is KD 91 for 4 MB which is nearly double that of Qualitynet. 

I've been using Qualitynet for the past 5 years and the connections has been great, I'm on Fiber subscribed to their 8mb package.

You cannot blame your ISP for bad and outdated wiring in your area

1 person likes this

Compared to the other ISP's,  KEMS offer prices are a bit on the higher side. While Qualitynet is offering upto 6 Mb at KD 49/- Kems offer price is KD 91 for 4 MB which is nearly double that of Qualitynet. 

You get what you pay for.

if you don't like qualitynet then don't move to gulfnet, as qualitynet will appear to be world beaters in comparison.

Before you move try to use the machines in their offices or at info whilst it's on,to see what sites other companies block as they all seem to block different things, and whilst qualitynet do block a couple of sites that i have to work around to get to, most of the sites i want are there.

This is the thing that always puts me off moving i may end up not being able to access what i currently can.

I'm probably going with Fasttelco since I've heard good things about them. 

I've been using Qualitynet for the past 5 years and the connections has been great, I'm on Fiber subscribed to their 8mb package.

You cannot blame your ISP for bad and outdated wiring in your area

This is what my situation is. I know the wiring in my area is outdated and the max speed we're capable of is 2.8-3 MB (from a past experience with DSL), I signed up for 2 MB and the Qualitynet website states that my max attainable speed is 3, yet they've capped my speed at 1 MB. 

I've spoken with them and I get thrown around from one person to the next and it's always like "We'll contact you with 24-48 hours". Today I got a call from them and the lady thought I wanted to renew my subscription. So I had to explain my situation again. She said they'd contact me between 24-48 hours. 

It's pretty silly really. 

This is what my situation is. I know the wiring in my area is outdated and the max speed we're capable of is 2.8-3 MB (from a past experience with DSL), I signed up for 2 MB and the Qualitynet website states that my max attainable speed is 3, yet they've capped my speed at 1 MB. 

I've spoken with them and I get thrown around from one person to the next and it's always like "We'll contact you with 24-48 hours". Today I got a call from them and the lady thought I wanted to renew my subscription. So I had to explain my situation again. She said they'd contact me between 24-48 hours. 

It's pretty silly really. 

Wow, this is just embarrassing. But I guess it's because they're busy with the convention currently going on. Or was this the case before the convention even started?

The offers are pretty good this year. I upgraded my Qnet 4mbps connection to 8mbps/54KD (paid 120KD last year for it!), the scratch card won me a 6 month upgrade to the next speed (10mbps).

Fastelco offers were not as competetive but while I was there yesterday they manually changed their offerings on their flyers increasing the speed for price against each offer (so 2mbps offer was changed to 4mbps, and so on). Plus they were giving decent gifts as well, a friend got a Philips iPhone dock-speaker unit.

Most likely, these promotions will revert to the previous offers after the event, so grab 'em while you can!

Edited by Sabah

I did my renewal with KEMS, and for the first time... paid more than the previous year, double in fact :|  That's because they successfully convinced me to get the 15 MBPS deal. Worst part was, after I was done the guy informed me that usually in the evenings they have another additional 15% off on most deals.

Strolled around then and compared the fliers I was being bombarded with, realized Qnet seemed to have the best offers this year.

Went over to Wataniya (small stall located in the corner) and asked if they have any deals for existing subscribers (we have 5 lines on a family plan for the past 15 years at least), and he replied "No".

Overall, didn't find anything too impressive. I think Infoconnect should be just renamed to 'Internet Renewal Week'.

2 people like this

Looking for the 15Mb from Kems, my line however can only handle 6Mb, called kems and the agent there didn't know what to do, anyone can help on who I should contact to change my line?

You already have the 15mb (from infoconnect I presume) but realized later the line handles much lesser?

I would go back to them at infoconnect and request a downgrade.

no, I meant im looking to upgrade to 15Mb, my current speed is 2Mb, line can handle 6Mb, earlier someone mentioned changing their line and were able to upgrade, so any idea who changes these wires?

no, I meant im looking to upgrade to 15Mb, my current speed is 2Mb, line can handle 6Mb, earlier someone mentioned changing their line and were able to upgrade, so any idea who changes these wires?

It depends, you need a technician to pass by from kems and confirm if your line issue is from the box at your building to your flat or if its from the exchange to your box. The former can be fixed by replacing the copper, the latter I guess isn't so simple to replace (if at all).

The QNet guy gave me the contact of this person who does the internal replacements, but please make sure that this is the root cause before you go for it. Raed: 51213132

Edited by Sabah
1 person likes this

Residential areas newly developed over the past 10 years were fitted with fiber optic lines (GPON) - these are the lines that are capable of handling all the speeds advertised. I'm talking of South Surra, New Mangaf etc.

If you do not live in such areas, and haven't witnessed an overhaul/replacement of phone lines from the exchange to your residence in the past years, I'm afraid you're still on copper wires or lines which do not handle more than 5 MB at best.

So I finally went to InfoConnect yesterday to subscribe with Kems and their new '50 Mbps' package (we'll see about that) and they told that it'll be active in three days.

Now my question is about the router, should I invest in an expensive, advanced one or does not matter at all? I mostly need it for online gaming and streaming. Any help is appreciated.

and got nitro free which means that from midnight to 6am i should get 6mb (which i think is the max my line can take tho they say it can take 8mb), so i can schedule most of my downloads for overnight.

how good is that nitro option? what are the measured speeds by some of the users?

So I finally went to InfoConnect yesterday to subscribe with Kems and their new '50 Mbps' package (we'll see about that) and they told that it'll be active in three days.

Now my question is about the router, should I invest in an expensive, advanced one or does not matter at all? I mostly need it for online gaming and streaming. Any help is appreciated.

Invest in a good router. It really makes a difference. A crappy router is the source of many headaches.

Went there today and got 6 mbps with KEMS, our lines only handle 8 mbps in Surra. Tried to upgrade my 6 mbps Qualitynet to 8 mpbs with the offer and they said they couldn't do it. Kind of shitty.

Does anyone know when the older areas are expected to be fitted with fiber optics? It's been ages since they announced it.