manabry44

new Mobile Phone

64 posts in this topic

I have been using android for the past couple of years starting from Galaxy S1 till galaxy S4, LG Nexus 4, with BB Z10, iPhone 4s in between
I am not happy with my S4 and i want a new phone
i was doing some research online, and i cant find anything that fulfills my desire.  i was thinking of Note 3 but this other phone came up in my search

Quasar IV

Specs

• QuaOS (based on Android 4.3, powered by Quatrix)
  • Quatrix Trusted-Authentication Processor
  • 5†FHD 1920 x 1080 Sharp (IGZO) Display
  • Corning Gorilla Glass III
  • Snapdragon 800 Quad-Core CPU @ 2.3GHz per core
  • GPU with OpenCL, OpenGL ES3.0 support
  • 3GB (LP-DDR3) RAM
  • 64GB/128GB (eMMC) Storage
  • MicroSD External Memory Card
  • Dual 13MP rear facing Sony cameras w/ flash (optimized for computer vision) | 8MP front camera
  • FDD-LTE | TDD-LTE | UMTS | CDMA2000 | GSM
  • Nano-SIM card
  • GPS, WiFi (a/b/g/n/ac), Bluetooth 4.0, NFC
  • Gyroscope, Gravity, Proximity, Compass, Thermal, Barometer and Atmospheric Sensors
  • 3,300mAh battery
  • IP57 water proof

Rear Camera Details

• Chip Type | Sony IMX135
  • Array Size | 4224 x 3136 pixels
  • EFL | 3.85
  • Aperture | 2.2
  • Focusing Range | 10CM ~ Infinity
  • Lens Size | 1/3.06 inch

Sound

• Bang & Olufsen ICEpower
  • Fully digital, low power audio IC with a stereo Class D speaker amplifier, a stereo true ground head-phone amplifier and high-end DSP functionality.

qiv_black_rend.pngqiv_gunmetal_rend.pngquasariv_1.png

dsc08091.jpg

quasar4a_4.jpgquasar4b_5.jpgquasar4b_2.jpgquasar4a_2.jpgquasar4a_3.jpg

Edited by manabry44

That phone has some pretty beastly specs. Says on the website they're looking at a May 2014 release.

If you're willing to wait the new HTC One is going to be announced on March 25, it's worth a shot checking out what they have to offer. Some notable features are:

• Front facing stereo speakers which are probably the best quality speakers on any phone ever.
  • Front facing 5 mp camera.
  • Dual cameras on the back. 

"One lens is wide-angle, while the other is at 3x zoom. This means you can switch lenses to magnify more distant subjects without resorting to digital zoom." Auto-focus is quicker, and you can edit the focus after the picture has already been taken as they allow a degree of depth analysis. Source

It's something to think about. It really depends on what you're looking for in a phone. What are you not happy about with your S4? I have the same feeling about my Note 2.

Edited by moose

the latest phone i held and was happy with was the galaxy S2, which i still own and use as a spare phone with cyanogen mod

the S4 has great hardware, but surprisingly i dont feel it, it feels slow, it does not feel right.. dunno

i am thinking of the note 3, but i dont want to get disappointed :S

honestly non of the phones in the market really thrill me :S all the operating systems are useless (i did not try new windows phones)

Forget Samsung, cheap build quality and a laggy UI. I have no idea why people keep buying them honestly, I was a die-hard Samsung fan but they're no good now. Go for an HTC or Nexus, or an LG but with a custom ROM since their UI is a nightmare. I'm waiting for the new HTC one.

And the Quasar is beautiful, a piece of art in terms of design. The whole security thing will come with its price though, let's see how it goes.

maybe the new sony xperia z2... looks promising 

Seconded. Waiting for it as well. Upgrade from my CM S3 to that hopefully. That phone you posted is something :o 

I had a strange realization - after using the HTC One for more than a year, the Note 3 and the Nexus 4 - I prefer the size of the iPhone; and I am so over the specs measurements.  The HTC One was an "old" phone, but it never let me down - not once. It is perhaps the best Android phone I have ever used, and I still use it.  The size of it was annoying me, especially as the iPhone is very compact.

So, now I have the Xperia Z1 Compact as my main phone.  I am actually surprised no Android manufacturer had a "premium" small Android phone.  All the other "minis" were mini in size and in hardware specs.

The Z1 Compact is basically all the hardware horsepower of the Z1 (which is the same chipset as the Note 3), squeezed into a small manageable device that can truly be operated with one hand.

I know the highlight of the Z series phones is their dust and water resistance but the phone's size is what won me over.

The only real issue with the phone ... its an absolute magnet for fingerprints! I have a case on the way to hopefully remedy that.

1 person likes this

Is the Z1 Compact available in Kuwait? I didn't see it on the the Xcite website. 

Is the Z1 Compact available in Kuwait? I didn't see it on the the Xcite website. 

Yes it is available officially through Barrak; they also carry the official accessories (a nice surprise for me).  It is also for sale through Mobile 2000, Carrefour (with some coupons, as is normally the case), Eureka and Xcite (saw it at their Marina Mall showroom).

Colors available: Pink, White and Black.  The white resists fingerprints the most. The black (the one I have) ... it shows the most fingerprints.

Price is 179 KD.

You guys should check out this new advertisement for the new Galaxy S5; http://youtu.be/-XseHZyvGtg

I was first thinking of going either with HTC or Sony's latest flagship offerings but after seeing that video, I'm honestly thinking of going with S5 instead. This is shocking as I've always been a Galaxy hater but that video changed me for some reason. Very well made.

1 person likes this

Was only able to find it @ Souq.com

Yes it is available officially through Barrak; they also carry the official accessories (a nice surprise for me).  It is also for sale through Mobile 2000, Carrefour (with some coupons, as is normally the case), Eureka and Xcite (saw it at their Marina Mall showroom).

Colors available: Pink, White and Black.  The white resists fingerprints the most. The black (the one I have) ... it shows the most fingerprints.

Price is 179 KD.

Thanks guys!

I think pink would be perfect. Its for a long overdue Valentine's Day gift for my wife :) 

UPDATE on the Quasar IV

1) Rearrange the rear design of the Quasar IV, changing the positions of the i/o ports and reverting to a single rear camera module - due to antenna problems

2) Upgrading the original Snapdragon 800 to Snapdragon 805 – a quad core 2.5GHz processor

3) The Quasar IV 64GB version will come with 3GB of RAM and the Quasar IV 128GB version will come with 4GB of RAM (To be confirmed early May)

4) Who have purchased the Quasar IV prior to April 18th 2014, we will give a special voucher for a free Quasar V and free shipping.

5) We have prepared 2 Quasar Suites (QuaWorks software + Micro SDCard with Quatrix) for each purchaser of a Quasar IV to date.

Edited by manabry44

another interesting smart phone that will be released in the market soon is the one plus one that will be powered by custom cyanogenmod 11s rom , its the official cyanogenmod team phone

Specs:

*Build: Magnesium - lightest 5.5" phone 162 gm (52.9x75.9x8.9mm, edges 4.6mm)

*CPU: Snapdragon 801 quad-core 2.5GHz

*GPU: Adreno 330

*Ram: 3GB

*Display: JDI's 5.5-inch 1080p IPS LCD protected by a layer of Corning Gorilla Glass 3

* Battery: 3,100mAh

*Camera:

-Back13-megapixel f/2.0 camera (Sony Exmor IMX214 sensor)

-Front: 5-megapixel wide-angle selfie cam

*Speaker: loud stereo speakers (tuned by JBL)

*Mic: tri-microphone with noise cancellation

Price:

16GB: $299/£229/€269

64GB: $349/£269/€299 

the only downside as i see is the display that is not 2k like other competitors (ex. LG G3: 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.5 inches (~534 ppi pixel density))

Edited by manabry44

I was considering the OnePlus One the specs are great, but its freaking huge.

Edited by moose

I was considering the OnePlus One the specs are great, but its freaking huge.

Exact reason I choose the One M8 over this. Micro sd card slot and size. 

Exact reason I choose the One M8 over this. Micro sd card slot and size. 

it might be my next phone, but im not sure

i dont think i will buy a phone with a FHD (1080p) display .... specially with QHD (1440p) around the corner

anyway.... we will see

another interesting phone i am thinking of is the Oppo Find 7 QHD

its a great phone as well:

Specs

• Dimensions: 5.5" IPS Quad HD (2560x1440, 538ppi) 152.6x75x9.2 mm
  • CPU: Snapdragon 801 2.5 
  • GPU: Adreno 330
  • Ram: 3gb
  • Battery: 3000 mAh
  • Camera: 13 mp Sony Exmor IMX214BSI f/2.0 + 5mp

Ultra HD technology:

Shoot 50-megapixel photos with the "Ultra-HD" multi-shot feature.

While in "Ultra-HD" mode, the Find 7 is able to focus in on more details. This is accomplished by taking ten photos at the backend with just the press of a button, it will then automatically create and combine them into a 50 megapixel photo. Perfect for high quality prints.

seriously this mobile phone thing is driving me crazy, anyway....

now there are many choices for QHD devices

1) Oppo Find 7

5.5" QHD 1440p (IPS LCD - 538ppi), SnapDragon 801 2.5ghz, 3gb ram, 13mp camera

2) HTC M8 Prime (QHD)

5.5" QHD 1440p (IPS LCD- 534ppi), SnapDragon 805 2.3ghz, 3gb ram, Dual front camera (18+5 MP),

3) Samsung S5 Prime

5.2" QHD 1440p (AMOLED - 565ppi), SnapDragon 805 2.5ghz, 3gb ram, 16mp camera

4) LG G3

5.5" QHD 1440p (IPS LCD - 534ppi), SnapDragon 801 2.5ghz, 3gb ram, 13mp camera + OIS+

Edited by manabry44

i think i will be mostly going with HTC One M8 Prime as i love this company when it comes for the quality of finishing of the device as well as better UI (HTC Sense)

Found another new brand .thl mobile...its a chinese brand but good build quality as well as cheap(an octa core mobile with 32gb rom + 2gb ram + 13mp front n back camera + 5inch display just for 299$) and they have online shop which delivers for free by normal post and if you want to use dhl then its additional 36$ ...check out guys http://www.thlmobilestore.com/

Found another new brand .thl mobile...its a chinese brand but good build quality as well as cheap(an octa core mobile with 32gb rom + 2gb ram + 13mp front n back camera + 5inch display just for 299$) and they have online shop which delivers for free by normal post and if you want to use dhl then its additional 36$ ...check out guys http://www.thlmobilestore.com/

i dont like it

looks cheap

I think QHD is not necessary because there isn't much content available now

it might not be necessary, however its there, and i like to have the latest when i want to buy

i think i will buy the OnePlus One with cyanogenmod for now when i can buy it as i need invitation, and when the QHD phones released i will buy HTC One M8 Prime (or see the samsung s5 prime) we will see