ClintEastwood

why expats do not like kuwaitis?

196 posts in this topic

i was reading marks post about how hard it is to get your papers done in government organizations then i had a look at the comments.there were many comments and complaints about how expats are being treated and some others telling that it is kuwait.like it or leave and things like that...

i just wonder...whats wrong in kuwait? expats hate kuwaitis or kuwaitis hate expats?

2 people like this

I wouldn't say that Expats hate all Kuwaiti's and vice versa. We only hate the way expats are being treated in all government institutions in Kuwait. There are very good Kuwaiti's and very bad expats as well , so let's not make a debate on that.

1 person likes this

i do agree with you.just i cannot understand some people discussing under marks post by their comments.did you see it?

1 person likes this

Clint, I guess it would depend on what type of expat you are. Some are treated well here and don't have reason to complain but others..oh well its not a rosy picture from the day they land here.

Trust me, life in Kuwait is pretty good and there's no better place for me (at the moment) and I'm not saying that coz I'm born and raised here. Once in a while you do come across incidents where a person might be treated like dirt or a filthy animal but I guess its expected when you belong to a certain list of nationalities.

1 person likes this

I wouldn't say that Expats hate all Kuwaiti's and vice versa. We only hate the way expats are being treated in all government institutions in Kuwait. There are very good Kuwaiti's and very bad expats as well , so let's not make a debate on that.

Not all govt institutions are bad. The MOC has undergone a total revamp and the staff are ever so helpful. I recently moved from Jleeb to Salmiya and getting my old connection cancelled and applying for a new one was a piece of cake. The ladies there were very helpful and I didn't mind waiting a minute or two for them to finishing typing their Whatsapp messages.

Another huge improvement is in PACI, the office staff (mostly Kuwaiti citizens) inside the counters were helpful in sorting out some issues in my civil ID. The same cannot be said about the Egyptian security guards and helpdesk staff who didn't understand or speak English and all they knew was "imshi, counter thaani or taal baadain".

Immigration office  and Motor vehciles department in Farwaniya is a complete madhouse and that needs a revamp. I've seen guys waiting for their passports get herded around with whistle cords and 'egails' from one queue to the next. According to my dad, this is an improvement from the 70s when they used canes and sticks to herd people around.

1 person likes this

which nationalities are those? i mean,  whenever a policeman stops me or i go to a hospital or any other government office, they do respect and be kind as long as i am kind.i did not have a problem during my time in kuwait and i hope that it will continue that way.i wish that it would be the same for everyone else as well.

1 person likes this

@Mathai: Yes some government institutions do have improvements. But still it's shocking to see such an attitude from the others even in this century.

You can imagine if someone like Mark who is a Canadian is having a hard time with his paper works imagine the plight of the other nationalities who don't speak arabic.

1 person likes this

@Mathai: Yes some government institutions do have improvements. But still it's shocking to see such an attitude from the others even in this century.

You can imagine if someone like Mark who is a Canadian is having a hard time with his paper works imagine the plight of the other nationalities who don't speak arabic.

mark is canadian? it is written on his forehead? :D ahuahahahahah :D 

maybe the guy did not notice that he is canadian.you see? that means there is no nationality rule in their attitude.

1 person likes this

mark is canadian? it is written on his forehead? :D ahuahahahahah :D

maybe the guy did not notice that he is canadian.you see? that means there is no nationality rule in their attitude.

It's written on his passport  :idea:

1 person likes this

i just wonder...whats wrong in kuwait? expats hate kuwaitis or kuwaitis hate expats?

Simply because we are from different cultures. When someone speak in a rude way he's going to get a rude response. An expat who is not familiar with the Kuwaiti way of "dealing" will end up getting the bad side of Kuwaitis. If you read Mark's post about his passport and residency, you're going to read something about that and clearly he doesn't know how to deal with Kuwaitis... maybe he knows how to deal with the few "kind" of people that he met... but not the commoners.

Putting that aside, if you're speaking about real hate... if it exists.. then here are the reasons and I will generalize because the good people are few. Call it ignorance, the poster asked a question and this is the Kuwaiti answer that we hear nowadays.

Because no matter how good Kuwait and a Kuwaiti be to an expat, the expat will always treat this country as a cow that he milks for a certain period and then leaves home. They don't treat the country with respect. Very simple example... if you live in a house you'd be very careful with your furniture... try to keep ur carpets clean, be gentle on the doors of closets and cupboards, and so on... However if you're at a hotel or rented flat... I can assure you that you'd not treat everything the way you'd treat your own at home. Similar example is with car rental and owned car if you couldn't relate to the first example.

Other reasons can be...

Because Kuwaitis can't find jobs while expats make more than two thirds of population. Please don't start giving me examples like Kuwaitis not willing to work as street cleaners or in hospitality services... there are thousands and thousands of jobs that can be done by Kuwaitis and currently being done by expats... that include government jobs as well not to mention the private sector. Also please don't start talking about Kuwaitis underperformed. If you put poor under skilled management of course you're going to end up with unproductive staff. We have numerous of Kuwaitis who over preformed once they were put under good management. 

Because expats who can't afford to ride a donkey in their home country come to Kuwait, get a cheap car, a driving license and drive below the speed limit and crash into our expensive cars.

Because expats live in Kuwait City, Hawally, Salmiya, Jabriyah... and Kuwaitis have to wait for 20 years to get a plot of land in the desert and near the boarders.

Because expats who at their home country have no dignity and get beaten up by security on almost daily bases for whatever silly reason even at queues come here to Kuwait and start to believe that they are Pasha!

Why do expats hate us?

Because they left their homes and families to come here to make a living. While we live with our families and earn our living.

Because they work from dawn till sunset and they get paid maybe 300 dinars max (which is enough for them to make them Mahraja's back home with big houses, staff, cars, lands, properties ,etc) while Kuwaitis earn around 1,300 dinars on average (and they live in a tiny flat till their kids are 20 years old).

Because they think we are dumb, lazy, wealthy and don't deserve what we have.

Because they read comments like mine, which were posted on threads made by people like you.

Edited by Surrey
2 people like this

@Surrey: Let's see it from our point of view now.

Yes life is better for most of us here than back at our natives but I don't see how we are milking this country ? FYI we leave this country because you don't give us any citizenship or special amenities, yet you all have American and London citizenships. Also how do we have to treat Kuwait with respect , please enlighten us.

We can ride whatever we want back home ,but when was the last time a slow car was involved in a crash in Kuwait. It has always been a fast expensive car causing most of the accidents.

We live in flats and pay a rent of 300-450 KD per month. Even if you don't get plots here you're real estate agents or Kuwaiti's who own these buildings are earning a lot through us.

We don't get beaten up in our own country , in fact we are treated a lot better there and we will treat you also with equal respect if you visit our country.

We don't hate you , we just hate the racial discrimination and attitude of some of your officials who do not know how to behave humanely.

We are hard working people and not all earn 300 KD , there are expats who earn 1000's and probably that's the reason why they are all still here. We have our families here too but many don't like you said and that's because life's not easy for everybody.

Yes you are very wealthy , lazy and dumb. There is nothing to think about in this matter. Even people in our country who are wealthy have the same attributes.

@surrey : Your comment is so ignorant and backward which kind of proves why some expats don't like Kuwaitis. You give the other Kuwaiti's who are smart, well educated and understanding people a bad name. 

Edited by aasifjn

Yes life is better for most of us here than back at our natives but I don't see how we are milking this country ? FYI we leave this country because you don't give us any citizenship or special amenities, yet you all have American and London citizenships. Also how do we have to treat Kuwait with respect , please enlighten us.

Milking the country is living a temporary life in the country and most of monthly earnings if not all of it get sent abroad back home. You don't pay any taxes, you don't pay for any services in the country. The bread you eat, the water you drink, and the petrol you use are all subsidized with our country revenue.

Yes some Kuwaitis do have American and European nationalities. Most if not all received them by birth because Kuwait since the fifties was supporting its citizens to finish University studies. Kuwait University has very limited capacity so remaining people get sent abroad.

If you think it is an advantage to get such citizenship you're wrong. The Americans give away their citizenship for free because they want you to pay taxes. Believe it or not, Kuwaitis who were born in the US but never set foot in it ever after will have to pay income tax to the US for their salaries in Kuwait... just because the hold US citizenship! This should also clarify to you why you will never earn a Kuwaiti citizenship.

We can ride whatever we want back home ,but when was the last time a slow car was involved in a crash in Kuwait. It has always been a fast expensive car causing most of the accidents.

Yes you can. But the point is... most of them could not afford even a donkey ride. Kuwait made it very easy for you and others to afford a car.

Anyhow, when the minimum speed limit on the four lanes highway is 80, and some expat in a barely moving vehicle is driving around 50 or 60 on the middle lanes forcing slightly faster cars to drive on the left lane that would lead speeding cars to swerve from one lane to another... this causes accidents. Not the speed itself. Without having to go through this scenario... just driving a junk below the minimum speed limit with no working tail lights, no breaklights, no turning signals is a hazard on its own.

We live in flats and pay a rent of 300-450 KD per month. Even if you don't get plots here you're real estate agents or Kuwaiti's who own these buildings are earning a lot through us.

Population distribution across residential area is available at the Civil Information website... in any case, most expats share accommodation. So that 300 dinar can be distributed on several people... if not families. That aside... if your employers are not paying your rent... I am sure you would not pay 50% of your income on rent... which is what most Kuwaitis have to do. Even if you did... you are still benefiting from the exchange rates of whatever is remaining from your earning. No need for drama... I know a plumbers, welders, truck drivers, electricians, accountants, builders, handymen, busboys and many others... who all came to Kuwait with nothing other than the clothes they were wearing. Kuwait gave them the opportunity to make a decent living. All those men now have villas in their home countries, properties, lands, businesses, sent their kids to best universities, extended their families, and now many of them started their own businesses in Kuwait and bringing their own people to work for them. All this happened to them in about 15 years.

We don't get beaten up in our own country , in fact we are treated a lot better there and we will treat you also with equal respect if you visit our country.

I don't know from what country you are... but I can tell you for sure, that most expats in Kuwait from Arabian countries and Asian countries are treated like shit in their countries. Easiest example is the use of what you call "lathi" (beating baton) in asian countries. 

We don't hate you , we just hate the racial discrimination and attitude of some of your officials who do not know how to behave humanely.

Don't think about it too much. Kuwaitis don't really care how expats feel about them. Its nothing personal, its just an attitude that we developed following the back stabbing we received back in 1990. Also, I believe we don't have any racial descrimination... its just that if you're not one of us you're not going to be treated like one of us. Doesn't matter if you're Hindi, Pakistani, Bengali, Philipeno, Chinese, Malasyan, or whatever.  Asians are treated one way, Arabs are treated another, so are Europeans and Africans. Bottom line... no one will be treated like a Kuwaiti.

You claim that some "officials don't know how to behave humanely"... You do realize that they are "officials" not nannies or baby sitters? If you fail to communicate with them in clear correct Arabic then do expect them to have very little interest in understanding you. This is not special for Kuwait... this is how it is in probably every other part of the world. Have you been to Europe? French, Germans, and most of the surrounding countries... they take pride in their language, they don't like foreigners and they would only communicate in their language. Despite the fact that they understand english and understand you.

We are hard working people and not all earn 300 KD , there are expats who earn 1000's and probably that's the reason why they are all still here. We have our families here too but many don't like you said and that's because life's not easy for everybody.

I know not all earn 300 KD. Expats make more money than Kuwaitis. This was the whole argument of my discussion on why Kuwaitis hate expats who take their jobs.

Yes you are very wealthy , lazy and dumb. There is nothing to think about in this matter.

Proves that you're ignorant and understood nothing of the chatter above.

@surrey : Your comment is so ignorant and backward which kind of proves why some expats don't like Kuwaitis. You give the other Kuwaiti's who are smart, well educated and understanding people a bad name. 

This is what you understood from my comment?! my god! I guess I was speaking gibberish.

Edited by Surrey

Simply because we are from different cultures. When someone speak in a rude way he's going to get a rude response. An expat who is not familiar with the Kuwaiti way of "dealing" will end up getting the bad side of Kuwaitis. If you read Mark's post about his passport and residency, you're going to read something about that and clearly he doesn't know how to deal with Kuwaitis... maybe he knows how to deal with the few "kind" of people that he met... but not the commoners.

Putting that aside, if you're speaking about real hate... if it exists.. then here are the reasons and I will generalize because the good people are few. Call it ignorance, the poster asked a question and this is the Kuwaiti answer that we hear nowadays.

Because no matter how good Kuwait and a Kuwaiti be to an expat, the expat will always treat this country as a cow that he milks for a certain period and then leaves home. They don't treat the country with respect. Very simple example... if you live in a house you'd be very careful with your furniture... try to keep ur carpets clean, be gentle on the doors of closets and cupboards, and so on... However if you're at a hotel or rented flat... I can assure you that you'd not treat everything the way you'd treat your own at home. Similar example is with car rental and owned car if you couldn't relate to the first example.

Other reasons can be...

Because Kuwaitis can't find jobs while expats make more than two thirds of population. Please don't start giving me examples like Kuwaitis not willing to work as street cleaners or in hospitality services... there are thousands and thousands of jobs that can be done by Kuwaitis and currently being done by expats... that include government jobs as well not to mention the private sector. Also please don't start talking about Kuwaitis underperformed. If you put poor under skilled management of course you're going to end up with unproductive staff. We have numerous of Kuwaitis who over preformed once they were put under good management. 

Because expats who can't afford to ride a donkey in their home country come to Kuwait, get a cheap car, a driving license and drive below the speed limit and crash into our expensive cars.

Because expats live in Kuwait City, Hawally, Salmiya, Jabriyah... and Kuwaitis have to wait for 20 years to get a plot of land in the desert and near the boarders.

Because expats who at their home country have no dignity and get beaten up by security on almost daily bases for whatever silly reason even at queues come here to Kuwait and start to believe that they are Pasha!

Why do expats hate us?

Because they left their homes and families to come here to make a living. While we live with our families and earn our living.

Because they work from dawn till sunset and they get paid maybe 300 dinars max (which is enough for them to make them Mahraja's back home with big houses, staff, cars, lands, properties ,etc) while Kuwaitis earn around 1,300 dinars on average (and they live in a tiny flat till their kids are 20 years old).

Because they think we are dumb, lazy, wealthy and don't deserve what we have.

Because they read comments like mine, which were posted on threads made by people like you.

LoL.you do not even know who i am :D this was the reply that i exactly wanted to hear ;) and i am with you in that.

@surrey, it's clear you are a racist who has been living under a rock with a primitive mindset. 

What specifically was racist about his comment? The Topic creator had a question and he answered honestly.

Edited by arsda

I was going to write a reply to Surrey, but I'm sure he's not worth my time. Your "seaduke" right, the onr thats commenting all that BS on Mark's post...

and this is the second time OMSaleh surprises me by not replying to Surreys comment.come on man. :)

PS:first time he surprised me was the time that he revealed that he is a male :D but not mother of Saleh :P

1 person likes this

and this is the second time OMSaleh surprises me by not replying to Surreys comment.come on man. :)

PS:first time he surprised me was the time that he revealed that he is a male :D but not mother of Saleh :P

I was more surprised when I found out OmAli was a dessert :P

I was more surprised when I found out OmAli was a dessert :P

OMAli means Ali's Mother.I think that it is a dessert which was invented by Ali's mom :D 

Milking the country is living a temporary life in the country and most of monthly earnings if not all of it get sent abroad back home. You don't pay any taxes, you don't pay for any services in the country. The bread you eat, the water you drink, and the petrol you use are all subsidized with our country revenue.

We are very grateful to you that you don't tax us for many things here. But we are doing a 1,000 KD job for 300-400 KD , meaning you're Kuwaiti companies and Employers are benefiting from this fact and milking us by raking in huge profits and paying us so less. There is no salary standardization or hourly salary like in US, different nationality people get different salaries which is not fair at all because 20 years back a salary of 300-400 KD was high but not anymore. Cost of living has tripled and quadrupled in other countries. Kudos to the people who can still save some money and send back to their home countries , how is this saving of money bothering you at all ? They sacrifice each and every luxury to send back money home to their families. If anybody should be taxed it should be companies and people taking huge pay checks.

Yes some Kuwaitis do have American and European nationalities. Most if not all received them by birth because Kuwait since the fifties was supporting its citizens to finish University studies. Kuwait University has very limited capacity so remaining people get sent abroad.

If you think it is an advantage to get such citizenship you're wrong. The Americans give away their citizenship for free because they want you to pay taxes. Believe it or not, Kuwaitis who were born in the US but never set foot in it ever after will have to pay income tax to the US for their salaries in Kuwait... just because the hold US citizenship! This should also clarify to you why you will never earn a Kuwaiti citizenship.

I was born here and I am ready to pay you tax's , now give me your citizenship.

US don't need you money my friend. For the small amount of tax you pay don't justify the benefits you get as an American citizen. 

Yes you can. But the point is... most of them could not afford even a donkey ride. Kuwait made it very easy for you and others to afford a car.

I will not deny this fact. Yes we are in a much better position now to buy better car's. Thank you.

Anyhow, when the minimum speed limit on the four lanes highway is 80, and some expat in a barely moving vehicle is driving around 50 or 60 on the middle lanes forcing slightly faster cars to drive on the left lane that would lead speeding cars to swerve from one lane to another... this causes accidents. Not the speed itself. Without having to go through this scenario... just driving a junk below the minimum speed limit with no working tail lights, no breaklights, no turning signals is a hazard on its own.

Like you say if an expat is driving his car below the permissable speed limit on the middle lane, it is completely his fault I will not argue with it. But this is linked more to the road manners of an individual than the car he drives. You can not hate all expats for this.

Population distribution across residential area is available at the Civil Information website... in any case, most expats share accommodation. So that 300 dinar can be distributed on several people... if not families. That aside... if your employers are not paying your rent... I am sure you would not pay 50% of your income on rent... which is what most Kuwaitis have to do. Even if you did... you are still benefiting from the exchange rates of whatever is remaining from your earning. No need for drama... I know a plumbers, welders, truck drivers, electricians, accountants, builders, handymen, busboys and many others... who all came to Kuwait with nothing other than the clothes they were wearing. Kuwait gave them the opportunity to make a decent living. All those men now have villas in their home countries, properties, lands, businesses, sent their kids to best universities, extended their families, and now many of them started their own businesses in Kuwait and bringing their own people to work for them. All this happened to them in about 15 years.

Correction ,Few expats share accommodation because of the huge rents and low salaries here. They need to send back some money home or pay off the debts they have for coming here in the first place or getting cheated by their sponsors. What is the point if they came here just only to pay you guys the rent ?

I agree that few people who managed to make / save enough money smartly have a much better life style now than when they came here initially. Consider their hard work and note that you don't give anything for free , the salaries they get is due to their hard work and for your economies development as well.

I don't know from what country you are... but I can tell you for sure, that most expats in Kuwait from Arabian countries and Asian countries are treated like shit in their countries. Easiest example is the use of what you call "lathi" (beating baton) in asian countries.

What are you saying my friend ? People who disrupt peace and trouble other citizens get beaten by the police / government in any country. Even Kuwaiti's got beaten up by cops during the recent parliament problem.

Don't think about it too much. Kuwaitis don't really care how expats feel about them. Its nothing personal, its just an attitude that we developed following the back stabbing we received back in 1990. Also, I believe we don't have any racial descrimination... its just that if you're not one of us you're not going to be treated like one of us. Doesn't matter if you're Hindi, Pakistani, Bengali, Philipeno, Chinese, Malasyan, or whatever.  Asians are treated one way, Arabs are treated another, so are Europeans and Africans. Bottom line... no one will be treated like a Kuwaiti.

No one is asking you to treat us like a Kuwaiti. Just treat us like normal Human beings. Also if you want love from others learn to show love first. You come to our countries and see how we treat others irrespective of nationalities.

You claim that some "officials don't know how to behave humanely"... You do realize that they are "officials" not nannies or baby sitters? If you fail to communicate with them in clear correct Arabic then do expect them to have very little interest in understanding you. This is not special for Kuwait... this is how it is in probably every other part of the world. Have you been to Europe? French, Germans, and most of the surrounding countries... they take pride in their language, they don't like foreigners and they would only communicate in their language. Despite the fact that they understand english and understand you.

I agree with you on this. We are in your land and we need to learn your language. I respect this fact.

I know not all earn 300 KD. Expats make more money than Kuwaitis. This was the whole argument of my discussion on why Kuwaitis hate expats who take their jobs.

This is a big misconception that we are taking your jobs. We are highly educated , highly qualified , hard working ,loyal and sincere at the work we do. This is the reason why you people come to our countries and hire us in huge numbers because we make you enough money and contribute to your economy's development.

If your country employers see the same skill in you and don't hire you- hate them but not the expats. Also if you feel like we are taking your jobs please stop coming to our countries and hire us.

So lets be clear on one thing. You are hiring us because you need us , we don't need you. And as far as I know our own countries are paying us more these days so thereby questioning the fact why should we all be here in the first place , Kuwait is not fruitful anymore nor are we minting money like people used to in the old days. The only people minting money are the huge corporate's in Kuwait.

You might want to reconsider whom you should start hating.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!