Mathai

Where to collect USPS packages from?

28 posts in this topic

I had ordered a Ridge Wallet from their site some time ago and it was shipped to Kuwait via USPS. I've been to Kaifan and Safat post office but they're not sure where the package has been delivered to. One of the employees suggested I try the customs counter at the airport. 

Why would they hold a wallet at customs? Is it the same place that Mark had posted about a few years ago? 

http://248am.com/mark/kuwait/how-to-clear-sensitive-items-from-kuwait-customs/

2 people like this

I remember ordering once from the U.S a laptop battery and it was held at Keifan central post (next to Kuwait University.) 

When I picked my package, to my surprise the central post (at the basement level) had their own customs agent (or so it looked like) inside the post office. He inspected the package, asked me why I ordered such a thing online, and then just signed my documents and I got my package just like that. 

That was like 3 years ago..... Not sure about the procedure now.

Edited by SonyBoy
2 people like this

I pick all my USPS packages from Kaifan Post. They searched the system for the tracking number you provided and they told you it is in Kuwait but they can't locate it?

2 people like this

I remember ordering once from the U.S a laptop battery and it was held at Keifan central post (next to Kuwait University.) 

When I picked my package, to my surprise the central post (at the basement level) had their own customs agent (or so it looked like) inside the post office. He inspected the package, asked me why I ordered such a thing online, and then just signed my documents and I got my package just like that. 

That was like 3 years ago..... Not sure about the procedure now.

I already went to Keifan but they sent me to Safat. I'll have to go again this week and confirm. 

It always takes a few attempts before they actually try to help you. 

I pick all my USPS packages from Kaifan Post. They searched the system for the tracking number you provided and they told you it is in Kuwait but they can't locate it?

The first three times I went to safat they told me they don't deal with USPS but after I pointed out a few bags lying on the floor with the USPS logo on it they accepted but told me the computer isn't working. On my fourth visit they told me to go to the airport and try my luck. 

1 person likes this

I already went to Keifan but they sent me to Safat. I'll have to go again this week and confirm. 

It always takes a few attempts before they actually try to help you. 

The first three times I went to safat they told me they don't deal with USPS but after I pointed out a few bags lying on the floor with the USPS logo on it they accepted but told me the computer isn't working. On my fourth visit they told me to go to the airport and try my luck. 

been there, everything goes to a certain place, i cant remember it right now but its something like this R airport, L is kaifan, and so on.

i had a package from china starting with R tracking showed that it reached kw and i waited 3 days and nothing, went to the airport, they said we sent it to il safat, of course the only reason is "u wrote my address wrong" not their mistake, went to il safat and i saw a dude told him what happened went inside came back he was like they always do this we send it back then they return to shipper, he said we sent it back today go now before it to late, so i went back to the airport and told them exactly what the dude said they took me inside and there was a pile of 10-15 packages they said these we returned today, it wasnt there they said they might bring it in the next shift 5-8 or something like that went back home went there at 6 and no u cant do anything now, i told him i needed it and dont want it returned he said come on sunday morning there is a lady upstairs she will check the system for you, sunday i overslept and woke up to a call from the post office my package was at the local post office.

or it might be gone who knows in this country we need tracking thats available to the public.

I have never visited Kaifan post and left without my package on the same day. I guess I'm lucky as hell, I do pray that everything goes smoothly though.

IIRC, packages from the US (except express) sent via USPS start with a C and should be picked up from Kaifan, R packages go to the airport and L packages are for courier companies like DHL, FedEx and UPS. I have never received small packages sent through USPS that start with L for example, they're always undelivered for whatever reason. Express mail (EMS) packages can be picked up from Kaifan as well.

What does you tracking number look like Mathai?

I tried the postal shipping only once, and had good success (they actually called me from Kaifan to collect the package). But other than that, I simply avoid purchasing anything that involves shipping via the postal system.

As Kuwait (forum member, not country) said, try, try and you will succeed (perhaps on the 8th time).

By the law of averages, you should have your package by the 7th or 8th visit.

I hope it doesn't go that far lol!

I have never visited Kaifan post and left without my package on the same day. I guess I'm lucky as hell, I do pray that everything goes smoothly though.

IIRC, packages from the US (except express) sent via USPS start with a C and should be picked up from Kaifan, R packages go to the airport and L packages are for courier companies like DHL, FedEx and UPS. I have never received small packages sent through USPS that start with L for example, they're always undelivered for whatever reason. Express mail (EMS) packages can be picked up from Kaifan as well.

What does you tracking number look like Mathai?

My tracking number starts with 'L'.  Seriously? I hope my package didn't end up in the pockets of one of the workers there. That place is a mess and no one has a clue as to whats going on. I've never had a problem with EMS and it always arrives on time and I get a phone call as soon as its ready. 

Just to give you guys an idea of the situation at the city post office here's a picture I took. 

IMG_20140717_091343_zps02ca5c8d.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q150/mathewj23/IMG_20140717_091343_zps02ca5c8d.jpg

I haven't read every post but let me tell you. Customs here in Kuwait are pretty random. I know a guy who work there who literally told me that when they see packages. They split them in half and release half and hold the other half. So weather your package is being held or not is pretty random.

You should claim the package from Kaifan. If it was held in customs just add two more weeks from the expecting arrival date.

I haven't read every post but let me tell you. Customs here in Kuwait are pretty random. I know a guy who work there who literally told me that when they see packages. They split them in half and release half and hold the other half. So weather your package is being held or not is pretty random.

You should claim the package from Kaifan. If it was held in customs just add two more weeks from the expecting arrival date.

I went to Kaifan once again yesterday but the counter wasn't open yet and the guy there asked me to come today after 10AM. Thing is that its not easy for me to go out of office during working hours. I'll have to take a day off work next week and spend the whole day chasing it down. 

thanks for all the inputs. 

If it begins with an L, you will probably have to call the known courier companies like UPS, FedEX and DHL to inquire about your package. You will have to tell them the postal service advised that your package was picked up by them to get them to actually consider looking for it.

I never import anything unless it is via EMS or USPS Priority, those are the ony services that don't have trouble reaching here usually.

The employees at Kaifan sometimes can't start work unless they are all there or one guy is missing, so my last visit resulted in me getting there at 8:40 and leaving at 11:30. They also have a new rule where you must obtain a State of Kuwait (1KD) stamp before you get there as they don't carry them anymore. Try and find a stamp dispensing machine (public hospitals or public service stations) and get one beforehand.

Good luck.

I recently ordered something using USPS - it was delivered straight to my home. 

whaaat? I've never heard anyone getting their USPS package straight to their home, I wonder if its something new...

+1 here but it's a hit and miss (sometimes they got delivered to my home, other times I had to collect from Keifan central post office)

Yeah you told us last time you had Sriracha delivered to your home.

You've got serious wasta man, I can't even get a wallet delivered :( 

This last package was a little weird though - It was sent using USPS, but also had a DHL Tracking # (and delivered through Kuwait post). The best thing about USPS is that they don't charge customs fees (unlike other companies)

http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/?trackingnumber=GM565322037000004748

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tRef=fullpage&tLc=1&text28777=&tLabels=LM311886669US

Not sure what's going on - but I received my package in a little under three weeks.

Something I should try is contacting the closest branch of Kuwait Post you can find and ask them to deliver the package to it so you can pick it up from there instead of having to go all the way to Kefan.

Something I should try is contacting the closest branch of Kuwait Post you can find and ask them to deliver the package to it so you can pick it up from there instead of having to go all the way to Kefan.

I did contact Kuwait Post. Even spent a week going there speaking to different people to track the package but it doesn't appear to be on their system. I'll have to sacrifice one day from my accrued annual leave next week and get to the bottom of this. Damn all this headache for a wallet. 

If it begins with an L, you will probably have to call the known courier companies like UPS, FedEX and DHL to inquire about your package. You will have to tell them the postal service advised that your package was picked up by them to get them to actually consider looking for it.

I never import anything unless it is via EMS or USPS Priority, those are the ony services that don't have trouble reaching here usually.

The employees at Kaifan sometimes can't start work unless they are all there or one guy is missing, so my last visit resulted in me getting there at 8:40 and leaving at 11:30. They also have a new rule where you must obtain a State of Kuwait (1KD) stamp before you get there as they don't carry them anymore. Try and find a stamp dispensing machine (public hospitals or public service stations) and get one beforehand.

Good luck.

Yesterday evening I was called by EMS Counter Kaifan to pick up an EMS package. In my haste I forgot to get a 1 KD stamp and had to buy one from him for  2 KD. I think he did it on purpose :( 

Anyway, I still haven't been able to find the USPS package. The 'L' series counter was closed by the time I went there and when I tried to ask the guy at the counter he told me to leave since I already received my package. Its so difficult to explain anything to these guys when all they say to you is 'yalla roh'. Frustrating

For all these people complainning about EMS/USPS packages, I only have one question in mind to you: WHY ON EARTH USE USPS WHEN ARAMEX HAS MAIL-FORWARD SERVICES IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD (China, UAE, UK, US, etc. ?)

Edited by SonyBoy

hello

did you receive the package finally?

i have 2 iphone 6 shipped from USA on 20-9

Its 25 days now and no news.....

If you have any tips please it will be very helpful

hello

did you receive the package finally?

i have 2 iphone 6 shipped from USA on 20-9

Its 25 days now and no news.....

If you have any tips please it will be very helpful

I still havent received it and I gave up hope after September as I had spent too many working hours hunting after the package and I couldn't afford more work loss. 

Mark just posted this and I've sent an SMS to the undersecretary to try my luck. 

http://248am.com/mark/interesting/kuwait-win-of-the-week-meiagib-nasser-al-dossary/

Edited by Mathai

Update on USPS - I ordered a package from the US, here is the tracking info:

March 30, 2015 , 12:30 am

Your item departed a transfer airport in International, Kuwait, KUWAIT on March 30, 2015 at 12:30 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Kuwait, KUWAIT

March 29, 2015 , 2:30 pm

Departed

Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS

March 28, 2015 , 6:50 pm

Departed

New York, UNITED STATES

March 27, 2015 , 8:37 am

Processed Through Sort Facility

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 

March 25, 2015 , 11:01 pm

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152 

March 25, 2015 , 9:46 pm

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility

MADISON, CT 06443 

I got a call yesterday from Keifan, they told me its ready to be picked up - and gave me an internal reference number. One week to be delivered is pretty good - I have been getting pretty decent results from them. I believe that most important thing is to have your phone number on the package, that seems to be the best way to get info. Also, usually USPS only shows that packages have left the US - this one was tracked all the way till receiving in Kuwait.

Hello,

I have a query. For my one of visa, I needed PCC from FBI; FBI had sent a mail through USPS but they generally dont share the tracking number.

Can I expect the delivery of document at home in Kuwait or is it possible to go to post office in Kuwait and ask people there for info on the package?

FBI dispatched the letter on 6th April.

Thanks.