Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
3obad

Which lens to get Sigma 18-35 F1.8 or Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 C?

5 posts in this topic

As the title says,I am looking for a standard zoom to replace the slow Kit lens on my Canon D600.

I know it seems like comparing apples to oranges but I m having difficulty deciding, both of them seem to be good lens, but I don't know which to go for, I really like both lens

The 18-35: its super sharp quick great lens, but lacks image stabilization and the zoom range is very short, also its heavy I didn't try having a heavy lens.

17-70: Not as sharp not as fast, but has lighter weight, bigger zoom range and IS and cheaper.

Opinions please :)

I think it depends on your usage : If you don't need more than 50mm (aprox) and don't mind the price and weight , then the 18-35 is perfect and you won't need an additional fast prime .

Otherwise go with the 17-70mm C , I have it and it is versatile , and sharper than what you would expect . It also does good macro .

Keep in mind that the 18-35mm alone will cost just 10 KD less than both the 17-70mm C AND Canon 50mm 1.4 combined .

For the price I got something neat I have 20% discount on sigma lenses so the 18-35 would cost around 185KD. But I m still new with photography, not sure if I would miss the 35-70 range or not.

As for 50mm I got the Canon 50mm F1.8, its not as good as the 1.4 but will do for now :).

Edited by 3obad

Nothing is wrong with the 50mm 1.8 as I was just comparing prices .

If you already have the kit lens try shooting only in the 18-35mm for some time to see if you really need the missing range .

Anyway if you want to replace the kit lens only to get more speed , then there is not THAT much different between it and the 17-70mm ( 3.5-5.6 compared to 2.8-4 ) , however the 17-70mm is a little sharper and a little longer , but the canon kit will focus faster ( I think ) .

I would say if you already have a fast prime then keep the kit lens for now , and you can add a small bouncing Flash for indoors , I think a kit lens with a bounce flash is better than just a faster lens  for indoors ... Just my opinion .

1 person likes this

Well yeah... that is why I m not overly enthusiastic about the 17-70... specially that its soft at the wide end, I won't be able to buy a wide angle lens yet ATM.

The reasons I want to upgrade the kit lens is that it lacks optical quality...also being slow and not having Image stabilizer is a bummer too.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0