Superm

Upgrade KIA Sportage 2007 Audio system

12 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

Need your help. 

I am planning to upgrade my KIA Sportage 2007 Double Din Audio System which does not give any Bass punch even after increasing the bass to +10 (full).  I am thinking of the following 2 options.

1) Buy an amplifier and a 10" sub-woofer, keeping the head unit as it is.  With this upgrade I hope the sound will improve. (Polk 10" sub-woofer and an Polk or Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer amp)

or

2) Buy a new Double Din/Single Din head unit (Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer).

Any suggestions/recommendation will be highly appreciated.

Tks

Supermario 

PS: If any of our friends here have a good un-used/replacement unit for which is not been used and want to sale, please let me know.

Edited by Superm

If you upgrade the head unit without the speakers you're not going to hear much of a difference. If you add a 10" sub it will also most likely overpower your speakers and you're going to end up with wayyy more base than you want.

The best option is to upgrade all the speakers, add a sub and swap out the head unit. If you can't afford to do it all at once at least have this as your aim. There is a guy selling a double din Alpine unit for KD50, my guess is he would probably go down to around KD30. http://248am.com/classifieds/items-for-sale/electronics/alpine-head-unit_i2000

If you get that you can then upgrade the speakers and add a sub for not that much.

1 person likes this

If you upgrade the head unit without the speakers you're not going to hear much of a difference. If you add a 10" sub it will also most likely overpower your speakers and you're going to end up with wayyy more base than you want.

The best option is to upgrade all the speakers, add a sub and swap out the head unit. If you can't afford to do it all at once at least have this as your aim. There is a guy selling a double din Alpine unit for KD50, my guess is he would probably go down to around KD30. http://248am.com/classifieds/items-for-sale/electronics/alpine-head-unit_i2000

If you get that you can then upgrade the speakers and add a sub for not that much.

Tks Mark

I got the Double din Alpine unit from him.  Great Guy Mr. Robby, he delivered it to me.  

I have to go to an installer and see how it goes there - lol.

K/Rgds

Supermario

Edited by Superm

If you have to choose one go for the speakers and get the sub later.

1 person likes this

Hi Mark

Need your opinion on a Polk Sub-woofer Polk Audio DB1212 Car Subwoofer 12-inch or alternatively Polk Audio DB691 3 Way Car Speakers 6x9-inches to support my Alpine HU = IVE-W530EBT and Clarion APA-450 (400 watts) amp.

Tks

If you're getting it installed from Zahrat then its better to buy the items from him too since he charges more than the average guy just for installation. But I can't complain, he does a great job. 

He doesn't carry Polk Audio just generic Pioneer products. It's always better to get the specific items you want and head to him just for the install.

Hi Guys

Tks to all who replied to this thread.  Special Thanks goes to our Admin. Mark  :-P

I now have the Alpine HU IVE-W530EBT installed to the existing stock speakers and all seems to be OK but I am still looking for a bass punch.  

I have purchased a Clarion 4/3/2 Channel Amplifier model APX-4240 (400w max power, 60w X 4 = 4 Ohms; 90w x 4 = 2 Ohms) http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2007/audio/amplifiers/APX4240/us-en-product-pf_1165294762695.html

I am planning to purchase a Polk Subwoofer 12"  DB-1212, 360W RMS with 2 Ohms Impedance from Xcite for KD.25/= http://www.xcite.com/audio-mp3/car-audio/car-speakers/polk-audio-db1212-car-subwoofer-12-inch.html

Will this  Amplifier/Subwoofer combination work.  Does the 2 Ohms or 4 Ohms Impedance  have any effect on the performance of the amplifier?.  I understand from a friend of mine who said 4 Ohms are better than 2 Ohms.

Out of the 4 output channels of the Amplifier, I am planning to connect the rear door stock speakers to the two amplifier channels and bridge the other 2 connections of the Amplifier to the Subwoofer.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

Rgds

Supermario

from what i understand but don't take my word for it, its easier for the amp to pump out 2ohms than it is 4ohms but the higher the ohms the better the sound. Since its a sub it doesn't really matter.

1 person likes this

higher impedance amp = less heat and distortion.

however, since your amp is higher rated in terms of RMS compared to the max of what your sub can handle, you risk damaging your sub in long run. in the end, you may have to tone down the output anyway.

as much as you can, find a MATCHING amp output to sub input at the same impedance.

1 person likes this

Hi Guys

@Mark - Thank you, as always quick reply 8) .

@Bob - That was an excellent reply to the point. Appreciated. 8)

K/Rgds

Supermario