Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deathgram

nvidea shield tablet

9 posts in this topic

Anyone tried the new shield tablet?

I've been thinking of getting one mainly to pass time and stream games, since I spend most of my day away from home.

I wouldn't recommend it since streaming indoors is already troublesome without a high end AC router. If you're planning on using Remote Gamestream to play games running from your computer while you're outside on a cellular data/WiFi connection then you might as well forget it. Not even developed countries have internet speeds fast enough to be able to deliver you a smooth streaming experience like that. You'll need a really fast internet connection at home, and an equally good connection wherever it is you're playing. You might as well just buy a gaming laptop.

While I like the concept of the Shield tablet and its predecessor, I can't find any practical use for it besides being an overpowered Android tablet. Streaming games requires two expensive investments: a competent gaming PC and a beefy AC router. And even then, all you're doing is streaming a game to the room next door, playing it with an unimpressive controller, and watching it on a screen that can't possibly be compared to the monitor you already have on your computer (unless you're streaming it to your TV, but you don't need a Shield for that).

I'd recommend going for a Vita or 3DS (more with the 3DS, since the Vita is dead in the games department). They're a lot more portable, and since you mentioned you're only playing to pass the time, they'll fit you well as their games are designed to be played in small chunks; unlike the Shield devices which just let you play the same sort of games you'd typically best enjoy spending hours playing while immobile.

shatter my dreams!

I already have an ac router and a 20 mb fiber plan, combined with a 4g data plan, I thought it would be enough for streaming games...

seems like the 3ds would be a considerable alternative since I enjoy nintendo more.

thanks for the brief.

Sorry to bring the topic from the dead, but i have a question!

If i wanted to stream online, would this be possible with zain/viva routers?  The reason i ask, is because the whole port forwarding thing is a nightmare with these devices, and i can't even host a dedicated server online due to this.  Tried hosting many games from minecraft to DCS, and no one can see them online.

Help in this area is appreciated since gaming away from my pc is appealing! :P

Added to above:

Also, would using a VPN like IPVANISH help with hosting online servers/games from my pc?

Cheers!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0