Riba

Netflix, Hulu and www.unblock-us.com

24 posts in this topic

Motivated by the recent post on the blog, I wanted to give a try to Netflix and Hulu through DNS proxy and ditch OSN.

The problem is that Netflix works, but Hulu.com does not open when using DNS proxy. I am working with their support, but in parallel I wanted to check if someone from Kuwait managed to get this working.

With default DNS it opens up but cannot be used of course.

My provider is Ooredoo.

Hi.

I have three apple tvs.

My router has dns settings and a subscribtion to unblock us dns (not vpn).

My subscription is qualitynet.

I have access and subscribtion to hulu, netflix, hbo now, cbs all access and showtime.

Works perfectly and have cancelled showtime since 6 months ago.

Ask away :)

Hello Izzyq8; I need someone who can confirm it is working for them on Ooredoo 4G mobile connection, or even Zain/Viva. It seems I can't get it working with either unblock-us or strongdns. I did find the following article:

https://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291552-will-this-work-from-hotel-public-"hot-spot"-or-on-3g-4g-networks

...which seems to suggest 4G access might be a problem, but we even tried with their VPN connection and it failed the exact same way.

Curiously enough I tried through tethered link over my phone which is on Zain and the initial tests appear to confirm it to work but I would like to get a confirmation from someone who is actively using it before switching providers.

Unfortunately the only 4g connection i have through tethering my phone (VIVA) amd it works flawlessly.

So you tested Hulu and Netflix using unblock-us through your viva connection and it works? Thanks, this is very useful information.

Quite frustrating...I just tested it with Viva, and Hulu would not open, Netflix does but rather slowly. Tested with different Windows and Mac computers and through Ooredoo and Viva routers so far.

Their support has been excellent but we still can't figure out what is going on. Hope someone else chimes in with their experience.

Quite frustrating...I just tested it with Viva, and Hulu would not open, Netflix does but rather slowly. Tested with different Windows and Mac computers and through Ooredoo and Viva routers so far.

Their support has been excellent but we still can't figure out what is going on. Hope someone else chimes in with their experience.

I have tested all three providers and got some interesting results which may be helpful to others.

If you are using DNS spoofing to watch Hulu it will not work through Oredoo. I am not sure what witchery they are doing, it appears like a hidden proxy but unlock-us support was not able to detect one. I noticed there are other sites that experience problems as well. Too bad as Oredoo has hit a sweet spot with their packages for me and the speed was great.

Viva appears that it might work fine but it is hard to tell because in Egaila it is unusable (1.6 Mb download speed)

Zain appears to work without problems. Looks like I'll be switching providers.

Hope it helps others looking into similar setup.

Anyone else having issues accessing Netflix US (or any non Kuwait region) since Friday?  I have been using unotelly without any issues, until this past Friday.  Now getting an error on Netflix which relates to proxy/unblocker.    Experiencing the same issue when I tried it with smartdnsproxy. 

p.s. Hulu still works fine with unotelly and smartdnsproxy...

Anyone else having issues accessing Netflix US (or any non Kuwait region) since Friday?  I have been using unotelly without any issues, until this past Friday.  Now getting an error on Netflix which relates to proxy/unblocker.    Experiencing the same issue when I tried it with smartdnsproxy. 

p.s. Hulu still works fine with unotelly and smartdnsproxy...

You missing out on house of cards season 4 :P

I wonder if its somehow ISP specific.... very odd. 

I have also seen the same complaints (same error) over the last 2/3 weeks from people in other countries.  Looks like the proposed crackdown from Netflix wasn't just a scare tactic.

Re House of cards.... I have downloaded all the S4 episodes.... binge watched 5 episodes this weekend ;)

Edited by m0sal20

Totally stopped working for me with Unblock-Us and US netflix region. Shame because I was doing the majority of my watching through US Netflix for the last 2-3 months

People who say it has no issues - try playing different shows, certain shows that are available in Kuwait already won't give the error.

if you do find a solution... please let me know!  As of last night, I can watch US Netflix on my PC only (not xbox) using smartdnsproxy.   

Oh I didn't even try my PC, I watch Netflix on Apple TV or a PS4 and both of these no longer work with DNS. 

I contacted smartdnsproxy... they said that they have a known issue with access to Netflix US/UK via xbox which they are working on to resolve....  working fine via pc.

can anyone give www.privateinternetaccess.com a go? they also have a money back guarantee and servers all over the world

my Netflix also not working over Smart DNS while HBO is working fine. I am using strongdns.com.

I was working fine until the launch of Netflix in Kuwait and then I canceled my smartdns subscription but last week I signed up again for HBO and couldn't watch US Netflix shows.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Latest updates on using Netflix via StrongDNS

"Greetings,

We apologize for the troubles with Netflix.

There has been another ban wave from Netflix and our solution we had in place stopped working. With the recent changes Netflix has implemented, users experience difficulties when using the StrongDNS service. Our technical team is working diligently to deploy a fix, but we do not have an ETA yet. We will provide updates as soon as they are available.

Please follow our social media and blog for more updates on this issue and general news:
https://www.facebook.com/strongvpn
http://blog.strongvpn.net/

We have applied the fix on your account and Netflix should work in your browser on pc only. Our techs are working on the fix for other devices at the moment.

To reset the DNS account and watch netflix through the browser on your PC, please, restart your computer, login to this site: https://strongdns.com/members and click 'check service' at the upper left corner of the page, also click 'Start service' if you see such link. 
Then clear history and cache in your browsers on your computer and also check if you can open Netflix in different browsers. Chrome, Firefox and Opera usually work fine."