Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a7medo__q8

FJ modifcations

18 posts in this topic

Hey mark and everyone else,

Since your an FJ owner, i'd like to ask you some questions. First of all i own a 2012 FJ and would like to to get all TRD parts, similar to the one to that got released last year including the tires. Also i'd like to black out every thing basically, the exterior color is black so the white top needs to be blacked out.  Therefor i really need your help like where can i get those parts from (original)  ? someone told me to visit the dealer but i assumed that they sell parts with high prices. I hope that you recommend some specific garage with original stuff and reasonable prices, also regarding the black painting if you a good place.

One more thing i need to change my tires this summer, am wondering should i get Michelin tires or the ones from the deal which are YOKOHOMA. I've seem your Tire rack post and your tires look cool ! but the problem is that they add weight right ?

Thanks !

Well you're confusing me here. TRD wasn't released last year, the TRD model has been around nearly from the beginning. In Kuwait they launched TRD parts last year but not the TRD FJ. Meaning the engine is the regular engine and not the TRD. Also tires and wheels etc.. all standard. The TRD parts are mostly the black body panels. So if you're looking to paint them why do you want to buy them as well?

Regarding tires, if you have an FJ and you're going for the TRD look then I would recommend you lift your car and get larger tires. I recommend you lift your car and add larger tires anyways because the car looks so much better and more visually balanced anyway. I wouldn't go with either Michelin nor Yokohama since they don't make good all terrain or mudd terrain tires. I would highly recommend you go with the BF Goodrich T/A tires. Available locally.

Regarding TRD wheels, if you're looking for fakes you can find them on zeena street, they start at KD150 and go up to KD300 (for 5 wheels) depending on the model. If you're looking for original than its ebay and they cost like KD600 without shipping to Kuwait.

Below is a link to my FJ build page incase you need details of my setup. I go very detailed there with info on all the parts i've swapped/installed and links to where you can find them plus part numbers etc.. as well as pictures of everything.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/104592-2-48am-fj-build-black-2010-a.html

Thanks for the link Mark. 

Have you subsequently seen anything better than the Alpine W407 or ilx 007?  I'm in the market for something for my FJ too.

Edited by m0sal20

Thanks for the quick feedback Mark,

I meant buying the mud flaps, door stands, wheels, covers above the tires. I really liked the wheels on the TRD but could'nt find any on the web wanted to check prices and compare you know . So is there like a good garage you know that own those parts with good prices ( original ) ?

Also i wasnt considering lifting since the car is a light weight and i drive fast, kinda afraid from flipping over lol but your FJ looks really cool with the lift, i might install a lift but not too much, btw your FJ would looked great if you installed those TRD tire cover the ones above directly instead of the stock parts..

oh well dunno where to start with my FJ lol

It's an SUV, it's far far from being light weight. If you want a light weight car to speed in get a sprts car.

You're also still not being very clear or I'm at least not understanding what exactly you're looking for.

First of all by wheel covers do you mean fender flares? TRD has stock fender flares. I think we're both talking about different cars here. I'm talking about the TRD edition that was released in limited quantity a few years ago, i think like 3,200 versions only according to a quick google search. That edition had a beefed up suspension, all black exterior parts including roof, some engine upgrades and trd wheels. It had stock fender flares, stock mud flaps etc..

I think the TRD model you're talking about is the GCC version which is just external parts mostly black and thats about it. What part are you looking for? Cuz the silver parts you can just paint them black like I did. FJ already comes with mud flaps and door stands standard in Kuwait, TRD wheels I already told you where to find them.

So is the only thing left that you are looking for are fender flares? You could order them online they're not heavy and so shouldn't cost much shipping. You could check Off Road Performance locally if they sell them but i doubt they do.

yup thats a khaleejeh TRD. You can find all the parts in that photo at the toyota spare parts in Shuwaikh. If you don't want toyota brand parts you can shop for them online or go shop hopping on zeena street to check and see who has what. Also try Off Road Performance for parts. 

my own opinion - adding those fender flares and not doing a lift would look odd.

@ Mark - has your ride softened at all with the OME suspension since you got them?  everyone I've spoken to has said that there isn't anything as soft as the stock suspensions. 

I can't imagine anything softer than the stock suspension, I hated it, every time i pressed the brake hard the car felt like it would flip forward. My OME's are pretty firm but I prefer firm over super soft. 

The new OME Bp-51 though are supposed to be great onroad and offroad comfort wise but they're a lot more than what i want to pay http://www.arb.com.au/products/old-man-emu-4x4-suspension/bp-51/

ouch.  too rich for me.

I have stumbled on an android based radio head unit on that website though... will have a look at some reviews etc. but seems to have what I'm after

I visited Toyota spare parts earlier today and checkout the prices, the cost of one flender is 420! for the trd gcc version, are you kidding me with those prices lol and they didn't have the wheels and i couldn't find them anywhere ;/ damn it why is so hard to find those TRD parts ;s am definetley not paying around 2K for those flenders, found a full set in ORP around 185 and they look the same.

Mark i think the lift is around 2" right ? for the gcc trd version the one in the link above, i also went to ORP and checked out the lift kits and the suspensions, i'd like something to make my car stable while turning and avoiding it going downwards while braking, what do you recommend ?

Have the ORP guys recommend something for you within your budget. If you're lifting though make sure you get bigger tires or the car will end up looking like shit.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0