Loligo

Rant of a person deprived of the Basic Human Rights "Freedom"!

25 posts in this topic

I never thought I would be living in a caged environment in this country.  I have been in the country for almost 2 years and I have never seen Kuwait Towers in close proximity.  Never had the chance to appreciate its architecture.

I have been living in a company accommodation with strict rules in which Professionals are locked-in from the outside. The daily routine will be accommodation-work-accommodation. On our day-off which is Friday... we are not allowed to go out.   Well actually, we can go to church. A company bus will take us, because we are not allowed to take a taxi, to the city and then brings us back to the accommodation. However, we are not allowed to wander around the city. If we do, we will be summoned to the HR office.  We only have 3 hours once a week to shop for our supplies... food and all. We are always in a rush, it feels like we are in the Amazing Race... always in a rush.

So many things to say, so little time... until next post. 

I am just letting it all out here. I just wanted to be heard.   

The company has sucked the life out of me. If not for the people around me and my love for the work I do... I would have gone crazy already.  

BTW, this company hires licensed professionals, degree holders, and university graduates. 

Deprived of the Freedom because of the color of our skin.

Edited by Celery
1 person likes this

I can understand maids making such a claim, but this is the first time I am hearing of professionals being not able to move around freely.

1 person likes this

Actually, maids are lucky. They enjoy their day-off. We don't. We are stuck in the accommodation.

Prison is better off too, 'coz they can accept visitors, we are not allowed to accept visitors.

I can't say... The employees are required to sign a confidentiality agreement.

They have our passport, basically my life is in their hands.

Haven't you read that agreement before signing it...i looks it's you who put himself in this trap. If you were not aware of such conditions you can complain about this and if you are still bearing this then I must say you have quite a stamina.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Actually, the agreement was okay. I asked a lawyer to review it for me before I signed it. However, things changed when we arrived.

The accommodation house's several professionals and we have supported each other as time passes. That's why I still have a sound mind... sometimes :)

It was all okay when residents are allowed to move out, but as of the moment, no one is permitted to leave.

If we have family here, we need to submit a letter of request to meet with them and attached evidences such as civil IDs, pictures... Which is kind of a waste 'coz they already asked this information before we came.

People are scared to talk, the company has many wasta. If not for a friend, I would not have the courage to rant here.

No one believes that this kind of treatment still persist. I was shocked.

I was warned that there is racism, but I didn't know that it's this worst.

(racism comment is not directed to the country but it refers to the company I'm working for)

Wow... this is just imhumane and absolutely deplorable. Hope things work out for you Celery, and the rest of the oppressed staff.

Wow man, I know maids and street workers do suffer the most but never thought a professional company would do such thing, how long is your contract? and what kind of work does this company do? it sounds like that company Umbrella from resident evil... if any of you recalls RE.

1 person likes this

I work in the academe. My contract is two years. Fortunately, it will end this year. It's just funny 'coz they are asking why I don't want to renew my contract.

RE is a good movie...

do u work for the army? or supplying secret stuff for the gov? 

if Yes so maybe they have the rights to do so

1 person likes this

Deprived of the Freedom because of the color of our skin.

Looking at the last sentence.

It seems not everyone is treated the same way as you are.

May the God be with you.

Looking at the last sentence.

It seems not everyone is treated the same way as you are.

May the God be with you.

I am brown and have brown eyes. Other employees with a different citizenship has freedom (also living in a, more posh, company accommodation) and holds their passports. My passport is not with me. Works 6 days a week, holidays are not given to us in full (we still need to report to work at a certain time).

Sometimes, I think the salary they gave us is based on the colour of our skin too. The lighter your skin is... The higher your salary will be.

Disclaimer: the last statement is just a speculation. It is based on what I have observed.

1 person likes this

I am brown and have brown eyes. Other employees with a different citizenship has freedom (also living in a, more posh, company accommodation) and holds their passports. My passport is not with me. Works 6 days a week, holidays are not given to us in full (we still need to report to work at a certain time).

Sometimes, I think the salary they gave us is based on the colour of our skin too. The lighter your skin is... The higher your salary will be.

Disclaimer: the last statement is just a speculation. It is based on what I have observed.

Hang in there, you're almost free :D

I've got nothing against Kuwait as a country and I've got some really nice Kuwaiti friends but in my long experience here, I've realized it comes down to the HR policies of most organizations. There is a HUGE disparity in wages among professionals based on their nationality but that's something you have to learn to accept if you want to work in Kuwait. I was once contacted by a UK based journalist (who saw a certain blog post I wrote a few years ago) to help him conduct interviews and do some surveys for a publication there but since I was already on my way out of Kuwait I didn't have the time or resources. 

Hang in there, you're almost free :D

I've got nothing against Kuwait as a country and I've got some really nice Kuwaiti friends but in my long experience here, I've realized it comes down to the HR policies of most organizations. There is a HUGE disparity in wages among professionals based on their nationality but that's something you have to learn to accept if you want to work in Kuwait. I was once contacted by a UK based journalist (who saw a certain blog post I wrote a few years ago) to help him conduct interviews and do some surveys for a publication there but since I was already on my way out of Kuwait I didn't have the time or resources.

I can't say anything more about Kuwait 'coz I've never had the chance to know the country. The only place I've been here are 360 mall, Avenues, Lulu shwaik, City Center, and Marina... These are the only places we are allowed to go during our 3 hour off (to buy supplies, the only off we have once a week). We cannot go to other places 'coz we are not allowed. A company bus will take us and bring us back. We are not allowed to take a cab.

I understand about the wages... What I don't get is the logic of locking us from the outside. At first they told us of we go out we will be physically harassed by locals. Then it became clear that they just want to control us.

I can't say anything more about Kuwait 'coz I've never had the chance to know the country. The only place I've been here are 360 mall, Avenues, Lulu shwaik, City Center, and Marina... These are the only places we are allowed to go during our 3 hour off (to buy supplies, the only off we have once a week). We cannot go to other places 'coz we are not allowed. A company bus will take us and bring us back. We are not allowed to take a cab.

I understand about the wages... What I don't get is the logic of locking us from the outside. At first they told us of we go out we will be physically harassed by locals. Then it became clear that they just want to control us.

im sorry but this is just sounds fake, working at a university and being treated like this ? i have never met anyone who worked in any sector who lived like this. what happens if you just leave ? deport you ? well if its hell then why stay, whats your nationality ?

im guessing your a female, english major, from turkey, greece, cyprus or around that area, and im 60% sure your talking about aum. doesnt matter if im wrong or right its just a guess, but if you truly hate it and your contract is ending fuck it spill everything and im pretty sure some wanabe bigshot lawyer will be more than happy to contact you and expose them, but if you want to abide by your contract then you care about the money more than ur "basic human rights" and you find that hard for you to except so you rant and go on and on and on and on without really saying anything (female).

1 person likes this

I'm a teacher for toddlers. I am Asian.

I guess you are right Gargoyle, but it's not about the money. I can get more than what I am being paid here. What is the other most important thing... Aside from freedom? It's safety. I care for my safety. I don't know anyone here, the company has my passport. I rant because I don't have the courage, this is a big company, they can do whatever they want. I am also afraid that whatever I will say, will affect the other employees that are here as breadwinners for their families, of whom I have become friends with and has become my support system.

All I wanted is to have a chance to enjoy the day off without scrutiny. Spend the weekend outside, not in the four corners of our tiny shared rooms.

They said in the past there are employees that had spoken about this to authorities, but were unsuccessful 'coz the company has paid them off. So many wasta, from transport to Sho-on (don't know if I spelled it right).

I'm a teacher for toddlers. I am Asian.

I guess you are right Gargoyle, but it's not about the money. I can get more than what I am being paid here. What is the other most important thing... Aside from freedom? It's safety. I care for my safety. I don't know anyone here, the company has my passport. I rant because I don't have the courage, this is a big company, they can do whatever they want. I am also afraid that whatever I will say, will affect the other employees that are here as breadwinners for their families, of whom I have become friends with and has become my support system.

All I wanted is to have a chance to enjoy the day off without scrutiny. Spend the weekend outside, not in the four corners of our tiny shared rooms.

They said in the past there are employees that had spoken about this to authorities, but were unsuccessful 'coz the company has paid them off. So many wasta, from transport to Sho-on (don't know if I spelled it right).

you work in a nursery, your not a teacher, your a babysitter, pay off authorities ? authorities cant be paid off if one cop can, another cant, go to another area, and wasta from transport to sho-on ? and has a nursery ? yea dont think so. your contract is similar to a maids contract and no not all maids get a day off to go out trust me a few do, very few. as for the weekend just cause the kids are not around drawing, yelling, shouting, throwing up, pooping and peeing everywhere dose not mean you have a day off, read your contract carefully if it says you have a day off with no restrictions then just stop working till something happens. if as you say you share a room then talk to the others and see if they will join in.

FUNNY how you thought I am an English major and sounds disappointed when you learned that I just taught toddlers. Lol. Actually, most of us feels that way now, Caregivers. But when you work in the foundation stages of the children... This is where it will all starts... Gross motor skills, fine motor skills, social skills, hygiene training etc... One cannot afford to not be with them, I don't want to put their foundation on hold just to get what I want, that would be selfish.

The contract has a few restrictions... Every MOA has those. Let's just say there are several things that are not followed, which I questioned and was scolded in return for doing so...

Ps. I'm just waiting it out... I can almost see the light. Hahaha

I rant because I want to know if this is just me or it's a usual practice.

I rant because I can.

FUNNY how you thought I am an English major and sounds disappointed when you learned that I just taught toddlers. Lol. Actually, most of us feels that way now, Caregivers. But when you work in the foundation stages of the children... This is where it will all starts... Gross motor skills, fine motor skills, social skills, hygiene training etc... One cannot afford to not be with them, I don't want to put their foundation on hold just to get what I want, that would be selfish.

The contract has a few restrictions... Every MOA has those. Let's just say there are several things that are not followed, which I questioned and was scolded in return for doing so...

Ps. I'm just waiting it out... I can almost see the light. Hahaha

I rant because I want to know if this is just me or it's a usual practice.

I rant because I can.

i teach at a government middle school, those kids are little monsters, some are as big as i am (6'2 120kg) im not disappointed i just found it funny.

I understand what you mean. At least my students can't speak there mind out yet... They just bite and cry. Hahaha.