Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
m.s.albehery

Social life & Other stuff

2 posts in this topic

I hope this is the right place to post this~

Not sure where to start. All i'm going to talk about will be from my own point of view and will be subject to be way different than your experience. I'm wondering about social life here in Kuwait. Is it easy to actually socialize and make connections? So far, it hasn't been slightly better ever since i returned here. People with similar interests are hard to reach, as if they're not there. Lets say you're someone who's out of any social circle, how do you find one? A suitable one? How do you reach them? Basically, the only successful attempt was toastmasters, they are organized enough to have their means of communication and reach. What about other interests? Other social groups? How do you socialize in here? It feels as if there are way less activites to do than anywhere else. Even people feel as if they've fallen into these molds of typical behavior. To be fair, here's a breakdown of what i'm personally interested in, in case anyone has help or info regarding socializing with similar minded people:

I'm a geek head, into tech and sci-fi. I'm a gamer, not too hardcore, not too casual. Built my own gaming and editing rig, treat it like my own baby beast.

I'm an otaku, into anime, manga and manhwa. I'm into movies and tv series, the cool ones with sci-fi plots mostly.

I'm into discovering more and learning more when it comes to how to make stuff. I don't just play games for example, i tend to attempt and make them too.. and so on.. I love to tell stories, make up entire worlds in my mind and am trying to finish my own novel as well.

Poetry is one of my interests too. Most of my free times are after 5 or 6 PM, full time job, usually 2 days off. I spend a good amount of time online, surfing 9gag, the chans and most tech blogs. Ultimately, i tried my best to search for similar minded people to connect with. However, the scene's too dark. The otaku community boils down to the con. event, a day or two each year with no real impact. The gaming scene isn't too promising either. I come from the days when we used to spend 5 hours shooting in CS or MoH, building troops in red alert or generals and the silly times in other games. I couldn't find proper ways or communities that support lan parties or somewhere that facilitates it. Toastmasters are good, but feel like they're there to advance and nothing else (perhaps too formal and serious for my taste?). I tried stuff like the meetup app groups, facebook hunts and other futile attempts. In the end, i'm resorting to the community. Here's an introvert trying to get some help, if possible. Is there a way to break the curse? Oh, in case you're suggesting branching out from my current friends, well.. tough break, i got none since i've traveled then came back and for over a year now had none at all.. anyways, sorry for the long talk, thanks for taking time to read this. Hope you got something to help.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

you say you like playing games... are you competitive about any of them? fighting games? smash bros? pokken? etc, even league, but I don't know much about their scene.

if yes, or if you're willing to get into them just to socialize.. then I'll point you in a direction, message me on here if you want.

Edited by Arikado

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0