JK_UK

Should I move to Kuwait?

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have recently been offered a teaching job in Kuwait and I am in two minds about accepting. There are a lot of pros to the decision but my family are worried about my safety as a single western woman living in Khaitan. 

Just wondering what your general thoughts are - is it safe? What would be the restrictions on getting around...etc. I don't care about no alcohol etc, that doesn't bother me.

Thanks!

Kuwait is super safe, like leave your doors unlocked kind of safe. Khaitan though is a pretty ghetto place to live.

There are no restrictions to getting around, there are a lot of expats here (majority of the population) and a lot of westerner. But again, Khaitan is pretty ghetto, can't you live somewhere else and commute to work instead?

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Kuwait is super safe, like leave your doors unlocked kind of safe. Khaitan though is a pretty ghetto place to live.

There are no restrictions to getting around, there are a lot of expats here (majority of the population) and a lot of westerner. But again, Khaitan is pretty ghetto, can't you live somewhere else and commute to work instead?

The school I will be working for provide the accommodation. Is it really that bad?

Hi there,

Well i myself was a teacher and I totally advice you to work here for at least a couple of years.

There are no restrictions at all for moving around here. If you are a beach lover, you can swim wearing whatever you want :)

You will find lots of expats here. Check internations.org and meetup.com for weekly activities where you can meet new friends.

As for tutoring, you can easily double your salary by providing after school lessons. I can show you later how to advertize and get students.

Food industry is Yummy-ful ! 

As Mark said, the only issue here is your living place. Well it is safe but too crowded with construction workers and similars. Try getting a place in in salmiya/fintas/mahboula...that's where most westeners live.

Again Khaitan is safe, it's just well crowded :)

If you have further questions lemme know

1 person likes this

Oh i just read that the school will provide accommodation.

Well most respectful schools provide decent aparts for their staff. May I know your school name? I can tell more about their accommodation.

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, LatinMoe said:

Hi there,

Well i myself was a teacher and I totally advice you to work here for at least a couple of years.

There are no restrictions at all for moving around here. If you are a beach lover, you can swim wearing whatever you want :)

You will find lots of expats here. Check internations.org and meetup.com for weekly activities where you can meet new friends.

As for tutoring, you can easily double your salary by providing after school lessons. I can show you later how to advertize and get students.

Food industry is Yummy-ful ! 

As Mark said, the only issue here is your living place. Well it is safe but too crowded with construction workers and similars. Try getting a place in in salmiya/fintas/mahboula...that's where most westeners live.

Again Khaitan is safe, it's just well crowded :)

If you have further questions lemme know

That's great, thank you for your help - you have swayed my decision. As long as it is safe and I can get around without any hassle then I am happy.

Tutoring on the side sounds great, I won't be getting to Kuwait for another month but it's definitely something I will look in to.

Thanks!

Hey, I personally have been in many Private English schools. Honestly, it's a hassle to resolve issues with the bank. School systems aren't professional and they don't focus on actually teaching the students, what they do is that they just pay you whatever they can. No matter what they tell you, parents are very arrogant. They always blame the teacher for the student's problems, be cautious about coming here. Khaitan is the last place you wanna be, I have never seen any westerner's over there. There have been many criminal activities lately, thiefs, drugs..etc. 

Trust me, UAE or Qatar would be a good start. This country needs to fix it's problems, but hey it's your path :). 

If you want to live there, I just hope you don't mind listening to their prayers 5 times a day, including at dawn. It's very loud and I personally seen articles and blogs of foreigners complaining about this. 

Sincerely,

James M.

Experience,

Fawzia Sultan International School, A.S.K, A.B.S.

Edited by fourthdimension